Seeking the right Jetta TDI :)

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by CBRacerX, Feb 24, 2012.

1. CBRacerX

CBRacerX New Member

Car:
    2010 JSW DSG
    Greetings all,

I'm a long time VW owner, and I have a 2002 Jetta Sportwagon VR6 GLX Auto at the moment. Commuting 100 miles round trip and think an upgrade is in order. So naturally I am looking at the TDI, and the Jetta is really my home run (4 doors are a must have).

Went to the local dealer today and took a look at the new Jetta TDI (~25K) and a 2010 CPO with 18K miles (~21K). They also have a 2009 (CPO) with 66K for ~$16K, slightly better equipped than the 2010 (sunroof). The 2009 is supposed to be a Loyal Edition but does not have the TDI on the steering wheel.

Love to hear your thoughts on the best choice here. I don't want to spend more than I have too, and I am very comfortable doing my own work on cars (have a low rise lift in the garage and a copy of VAG).

Cheers,

Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks for the pictures, they must bring back a lot of memories. Moving to mk5 section since you may get some more opinions there.

Check under the driver's seat, no amp = not loyal edition.

I'd prefer the 2010 since it has the newer electronics and can use the newer bluetooth and I never use the sunroof.
  3. The Pirate

The Pirate Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI, Candy White, Biege Int.
    Mods:
    No Mods, stock
    I have a 2010 TDI that i was fortunate enough to have bought new. I love it, the quality and the performace has been exactly as advertised. I like the fact the '10 is not "dumbed down" version. Now that I'm familiar with oil/filter changes, I'm doing my own routine maint. Reviews say the newer car suffers in the interior and the suspension mechanicals.
    I love the fact I got one of the "euro " models. I'd go with the CPO '10 with only 18K - barely broken in! and your pics are great!

roger
  4. Pitka04

Pitka04 New Member

Car:
    VW jetta / 2006
    great pictures!
    jetta is best bay
  5. chudzikb

chudzikb Member

Car:
    06 Jetta, 05.5 Jetta, 03 2 door Golf
    Know the risks of the high pressure fuel pump so you can go into this with your eyes open. They do have a nasty tendency to implode, taking the whole fuel system with it, to the tune of 8K in repairs. If you are good with that possiblity, rock on! The new Passat has not, up till now, seen any high pressure fuel pump failures. Something to consider...

That said, great pics, sadly no Corrado, but, great nevertheless!
  6. CBRacerX

CBRacerX New Member

Car:
    2010 JSW DSG
    Decision made:

No more:

[​IMG]

Instead:

[​IMG]

2010 with 24k miles, DSG and Pano roof. Let the fun begin!
  7. CBRacerX

CBRacerX New Member

Car:
    2010 JSW DSG
    And since I have your attention...

I read lots of posts here and the owners manual, which naturally led to a few questions.

Most readily available oil that fits the spec?

Doing the MDI upgrade with a glovebox cable - best source for this?

Using 17" wheels - any mileage penalty? I like the looks better and the roadholding will improve a bit (I have a 2002 Jetta GLX Wagon that the JSW is replacing, and liked the 17s on that car).

Block heater, best source for this?

Looking forward to many miles of enjoyable and economical driving!
  8. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    castrol 507 by mail order
    MDI upgrade: cheapest is Polish guy off ebay.
    Yes because of weight, greater moment of inertia, and tire width choices.
    Frostheater sold through kermatdi or directly from them, whichever is closer. IMHO, no reason to buy the OEM one unless you really want it.
  9. rdm

rdm New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
    Mods:
    Go Mini Go front license plate holder. Philllips E
    We sold a wonderful but high mileage Audi A6 (2.7L) and bought a CPO 2010 Jetta TDI/Cup Edition with 20K miles.
    Love it. This car gets more than double the fuel mileage than he A6 got. Really it feels a lot like a mature version of my old '77 rabbit. It's fun to drive even with only 140 HP, lots of torque and GLI suspension helps too.
    It's our first Diesel so we did extra research but could not come up with a better combo of economy, build quality and driving experience. The Cup Edition is great and has a number of unique options. It seems effectively be a 2010 TDI/GLI.

I really think 2010 CPO is the year to buy. 2010 was the end of the 5 series and from 2011 on, VW lowered the price and the build quality too. There are lots of differences between 2010 and 2011, for the most part interior materials, seat quality, (no leather in 2011). Lots of little differences added up for me. The 2011 & 12 just seemed cheap.