seeking advice for a Jetta TDI 2010 vs 2011

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by yasuep, Aug 11, 2010.

1. yasuep

yasuep New Member

Thanks for reading this post

I am thinking of getting a TDI. I was initially thinking of a 2011 Jetta TDI, however, from what I can find out, the IRS, rear disks, articulated trunk hinges, and nice dashboard texture of the 2010 is gone, in the 2011. I don't need the extra space of the 2011, so I would be happy with either car. My questions are:
    which chassis MKV or VI is easier to work on ? ie maintenance of the motor ?
    clutch job ? fuel filter changes, servicing the A/C,....

Which is a better handling car ?
    Which offers a cloth interior ( I sweat too much for vinyl or leather) ?

Only merit for the 2011 car I found were quieter, larger rear seat space.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    I tried to post a similar query on VWVortex, but not too much interest in the TDI there ?

Yasuep
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Did you look through this? http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/2011-VW-Jetta-TDI-buying-guide-reviews.htm It has some details on mk5 vs. mk6 Jetta TDI.

Since it's the same motor, I don't see any difference. Most of the extra length is in the rear legroom so I'll bet the engine compartment is 99% exactly like the mk6 Golf and mk5 Jetta TDI.

2010 w/independent rear suspension will be better handling. However, with the right aftermarket suspension and tires, you can make it handle better than anything stock. 2010 TDI cup edition is basically a GTI/GLI suspension, brakes, and seats with TDI engine. It should handle very good out of the box and keep the more sophisticated IRS.

Only the Golf or non-TDI are cloth interior for USA.

The 2011 VW Jetta TDI will have rear disk brakes. The base model will have drums.
  3. yasuep

yasuep New Member

quick !

Chittychittybangbang:

thanks for replying, and correcting my error, 2011 Jetta TDI has rear disks.

Do you know much much space is loss to the "C" hinges of the 2011 when the trunk is closed ? Will it easily become a luggage crusher ?

When I looked in the engine compartment of a 2010 TDI, it looked really crowded, even more stuffed than my 2001 Jetta 1.8T. ( I thought the 1.8T was hard to work on !)

Yasuep
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    2010 Jetta definitely have a bigger engine bay than the 2001.

Don't know how much space is lost because they probably changed the shape of the trunk during the redesign.
  5. certiff

certiff New Member

Your checklist also says that the price went down. That is something to consider. The last year of a body style typically has a bigger drop in resale than the first year of the new style because people want a car that looks like the newer car.
  6. yasuep

yasuep New Member

thanks certiff

tdi-fans:

Once again, thanks for the feedback.
    The reason I am concerned about serviceability is that I like to work on my cars when possible, and I sure had a tough time on some work on my 1.8T
    ( water pump/ timing belt replacement, clutch replacement, cam chain tensioner,...)
    Does anyone have any comments regarding serviceability of the 2011 vs the 2010 ? I've never worked on a diesel, so I don't know what to expect. When I did peak at a 2010 TDI engine compartment, it was stuffed. It definitely scared me. Is the 2011 TDI engine compartment the same as the 2010 ?
    Yasuep
  7. Gruppe d

Gruppe d New Member

It looks like it's mostly hoses and covers.

Why would the mk6 be much different? I thought they were using the same engine and the chassis is mostly a reworking of the mk5 Jetta?
  8. shooter3jd

shooter3jd New Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI 4-Door DSG
    Mods:
    Bluetooth, Xenon, Dynaudio, Sunroof, Cold Weather
    If you don't care about having the newer body style then go for the 2010. They have 1.9% financing for TDI which they never do, and won't do on the 2011 ever unless it does not sell good. Diesel's never have special financing, and you also will still be eligible to get the 50% of the tax credit ($650).
  9. cuiab533

cuiab533 New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI DSG
    While my 2010 has not yet been delivered to me, I opted for the '10 for the reasons identified by Shooter. Although the body style for the '11 has been changed, I personally prefer the '10. Also, the 1.9 financing was an attractive plus. From what I understand, the 2011 TDI will not land in the states until mid year and I didn't want to wait my two cents
  10. mo_focus

mo_focus New Member

I was in the same boat, was looking at 2010 Jetta, 2009 Jetta and 2011 Jetta.

No more 2010 Jetta TDI in most Canadian stores, my dealer had 2 2009's and was asking for more then the 2011 car. So i bought the 2011 instead of 2009.

I like the keyless entry, and the extra 2.5" extra in the backseat. that 2.5" comes really handy when you have a baby in rear facing infant seat.

Some of the futures that will be missed are the memory+power seat, Homelink and hood struts.

Some of the futures that did not not effect me at all, the trunk hinge, glovebox and centre arm rest AC vents. (bloody things were so small that you couldn't even put a can of pop), also i never locked the rear seats so dont care if the new car doesnt have them.

I like the new GPS unit, i'm hoping that it will allow me to put a TOM TOM maps and allow me to use that so i never have to worry about map updates from VW. I usually pay 20$ for tomtom map updates :) i'm hoping the 9W7 is better then the 9w2 in my wife's golf but i guess i have to wait and see.
  11. Cooper

Cooper Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI SportWagen
    Mods:
    Dieselgeek Panzer Plate, Autobahnd clear bra
    Someone at tdiclub.com stated that he had ongoing issues with his 2010 Golf TDI, so the dealership swapped him in to the 2011.

He went from 9W3 to 9W7.

He posted that people have told him that there is a huge improvement in sound quality. He posted that people previously told him that he sounded like he was talking at the end of a tunnel far away from them, and that he now sounds like he is in the next room.
  12. yasuep

yasuep New Member

pulled the trigger

Picking up my 2010 Jetta TDI tomorrow, 6spd man.
    thanks for all the comments.
    Yasuep