Seat Leon Error Code P0290 advice

Discussion in 'SEAT and Škoda TDI' started by bgatty68, Sep 29, 2015.

1. bgatty68

bgatty68 New Member

Car:
    Seat Leon 1.9TDi 130 2005
    Hi Guys I have just connected my code reader to my Seat Leon MK1 1.9TDI 2005 as the engine light came on and the above code came up does anybody have experience of this code and the remedy? all advice welcome guys thanks in advance.
    P.S car has done 205,000miles and for the last 2,000 has started to run rough again, blowing black smoke, poor acceleration and poor MPG.

2. brightred

brightred New Member

Car:
    2012 Audi A3
    This code is for a misfire. You probably have a bad injector. i would recommend a compression test if that is okay (=/- 10% cyl to cyl) then I would pursue a faulty fuel injector. I recommend clearing the code and seeing if it or another code reoccurs. The P0290 is for a cylinder # 10 misfire which obviously doesn't make sense. I would be looking for a P0301, p0302, p0303 or p0304 code which would indicate a cyl 1,2,3 or 4 misfire. It could even be a low fuel pressure problem affecting all the cylinders, causing them all to misfire. You may need some professional help...

3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 16674

EOBD II Error Code: P0290

Fault Location:
    Cylinder 10 - Contribution/Balance Fault

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.
    Engine Misfire.
    Engine Run Rough.
    Low MPG.

Wiring/Connector(s).
    Fuel system.
    Engine Control Module (ECM).

Tech Notes:
    Clogged or partially clogged fuel injector can cause this code. Start by performing an injector flush before replacing the injector.

Description:
    Code P0290 is triggered when the Engine Control Module (ECM) detects that the acceleration rate of the crankshaft for Cylinder 10 was less than a calibrated amount. During normal conditions the Engine Control Module (ECM) turns the Fuel Injectors ON and OFF in the Fuel Injection System.

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software