1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Rns-850 hd radio mono issue

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by JATO, Jun 30, 2012.

1. JATO

JATO New Member

Car:
    2012 TOUAREG
    HAS ANYONE FOUND A VCDS OR OTHER SOLUTION FOR THE RNS-850 HD RADIO MONO ISSUE :ugh?
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

Mono issue can you elaborate?
  3. Eugene-Dave-1

Eugene-Dave-1 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    Defective HD Radio in Touaregs with RNS-850 nav-radio

Hello, I'm new here too. JATO is referring to the RNS-850 nav-radio in 2011-2012 Touaregs, and its defective HD Radio tuner. It will not play in stereo, only in mono, and not even proper mono: It plays the left channel through all the speakers, discarding he right channel.

Some recent Audis have the same problem as well.

My most recent summary of the issue can be found at clubtouareg. Look for post #80 (page 8 of the thread):

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f...-stations-all-in-mono-not-stereo-72345-8.html

Let me directly address the most common questions I get from skeptics:

• It is not weak reception. The stations are here in Eugene within 3 miles with direct line of sight. I am not trying to pull in Portland stations.
    • It is not a problem with one station, it is all stations.
    • The VW RNS-510 works perfectly with HD Radio in a 30 mile radius of Eugene. The RNS-850 cannot play the same stations in stereo no matter where you are.
    • I have personally confirmed the problem on 6 early and late production 2012 Touaregs.
    • I've poked around with VCDS and the hidden green menu. I've found no way to fix this via programming.
    VW denies there is any problem. They are able to do so because the majority of Touareg owners, and VW Engineers, think "Well mono is one speaker, stereo is 2 speakers. Sound is coming from all the speakers, therefore it must be stereo". They don't know the difference. (no disrespect to anyone intended, just stating my observation from pursuing this problem).

That about sum it up.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2012
  4. Eugene-Dave-1

Eugene-Dave-1 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Touareg Lux TDI
    New video demo of defective RNS-850 HD Radio

I made a new video using an oscilloscope to visually demonstrate the problem. You can find it via the clubtoareg thread above or by searching YouTube for "hd radio".