RNS 510 questions

Discussion in 'Ross Tech VCDS forum' started by jeff spahn, Aug 8, 2012.

1. jeff spahn

jeff spahn New Member

Car:
    2012 JSW
    Hi
    I just swapped my RNS-315 for the RNS-510. I have the latest software in the RNS-510.

I have the Ross Tech cable and have successfully logged into the car. I have a few questions about changing things.

Who would be the expert in this forum to speak to about it?
    login to remove this ad
  2. nlz242

nlz242 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI Highline
    Asking it straight here would probably be the best, that way all of us curious folks can also get the information :)
  3. jeff spahn

jeff spahn New Member

Car:
    2012 JSW
    Ok. My main question is getting Siruis Travel link to work. I have the latest software, 3690, and Travel Link is on the screen but not active.

I call Sirius and they say I need to go to the dealer to have them activate it in the radio. Well, with my VCDS shouldn't I be able to activate this myself? I just don't know where to do it.

I called the dealer and they told me, "We have to activate that with the VW computer".

Is this truly the case?

Also, since I have never had a RNS-510, are they a 20 second startup head unit or do I need to go in and manually deactivate the voice command feature via VCDS to get the system speed faster?
  4. nlz242

nlz242 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI Highline
    I highly doubt that this is the case honestly. I know, from other forums, that there are issues with Travel link right now, that Sirius employee seem to want two ESN to activate it and are telling people with a single ESN that they arent correct...

Out of curriosity, if you log onto Sirius's website where you can see your sub, do you see "Sirius Traffic" near your radio's ESN ?

Check out Post 12 and 13 over at http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38234

I haven't been thru this situation myself, im just telling you what ive read, hopefully its helpful.
  5. jeff spahn

jeff spahn New Member

Car:
    2012 JSW
    Dont see Sirius Traffic near my radio's ESN on the Sirius site.
  6. nlz242

nlz242 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI Highline
    Yeah, id try the facebook email adress thing :

"The best way is to e-mail facebook@siriusxm.com You will get a reply from someone who knows exactly what the problem is and how to fix it."

"Explain that you have a brand new unit from a 2012 Passat
    Explain that you already know that your unit only has one ESN but you are certain that that is correct for this particular unit"
  7. jeff spahn

jeff spahn New Member

Car:
    2012 JSW
    I got my system activated finally yesterday without going to the dealer.

You need to call Second Tier Support to get this done. A supervisor may be required to force the installation of the data part needed to get Sirius Travel Link going.

Call 855-260-5969 and tell them:

1) You have a radio in a new Passat
    2) The system only has one ESN, there is no second ESN available with the new radios
    3) They can force the system to activate Travel Link but a supervisor may be required to override their lockouts.
    4) Have radio on and tuned to channel 184
    5) After the "updating channels" message comes across your radio, enjoy travel link.
  8. nlz242

nlz242 Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI Highline
    Yeah, figured this was the issue you had when you mentioned that you had no "Sirrius Traffic" under your ESN.
    Good information and good job getting it to work :)