RNS-510 Hard Disk

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by Pacman, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Pacman

Pacman New Member

Car:
    2012 Black Passat TDI SEL
    Hard disk is not highlighted in the Media section and can not be accessed. I read the RNS-510 manual and could not figure out how to access the hard drive. If any device is connected to the head unit it should be highlighted. Bluetooth Audio, Ipod and CD get highlighted once connected but Internal HDD does not. I checked the capacity and it is 18 GIG. Navigation works fine too.
    Do I have a bad unit?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Do you have anything loaded on it?
  3. monstersinc1

monstersinc1 New Member

Car:
    2003 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 2WD 2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD, 2012 Passat SEL Premium
    Chitty is correct, you have to put something on it to see it. Put some music on a SD card and copy it on. You can also view hard disk info in the "secret menu" if you use VCDS to enable the diagnostic menu bit.
  4. Pacman

Pacman New Member

Car:
    Tried copying a file to it but the Function button does not appear. Without a function button you can not load anything to it. It all started when I wanted to copy my CDs.
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Try this, insert a SD card, when on the SD card menu, open the submenu which should say copy. navigate to location you want to drop the file or folder and then it will be on the HDD.
  6. Pacman

Pacman New Member

Car:
    Thanks Chitty, I did that last night and it worked. I took it to the dealer yesterday and they could not figure it out. He said bring your car back in the morning and we call VW to see what the problem is. Looks like you can only load from SD card. Thanks again for your help. Now I love my Passat even more.
  7. glenroebuck

glenroebuck New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    can you copy videos or just music?
  8. hswan

hswan New Member

Car:
    2013 passat tdi sel premium
    Just got my 2013, and I have the same problem. Cannot copy files from either a flash drive or the CD. Guess I'll have to buy an SD card and see if that works. Once there are files on the HDD, can you copy from the flash/CD?

Howard
  9. LokiWolf

LokiWolf Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    Mods:
    Malone Stage 2, AFE Intake, AFE Exhaust...
    I have copied from a CD/DVD on my 2013. I did most of my copying using an SD card though. The files on the CD/DVD have to be MP3's or WMA for music. It will not "rip" a music CD to the HDD.

I have not tried videos...I will give it a try tomorrow.

-Loki
  10. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    The RNS-510 won't "rip" (copy) music CDs. You have to rip them on a computer and either burn a data disk or use an SD card.

You can also put music on a USB flash drive if you have the right MDI cable.

There are file name limits on the hard disk that don't exist on other media. I've decided to just play my tunes off of the SD card.
  11. hswan

hswan New Member

Car:
    2013 passat tdi sel premium
    Yep, I have the USB cable also, the dealer wanted $72, got it on amazon for $22. Even the sales guy said not to get it from parts. But although the files play fine, and you can see all the folders, you STILL cannot copy from the flash to the HDD. Will be getting the SD card next week and will try that.
    The CDs I use are all mp3 or wma, burned to disk, but still won't copy over. Just another example of the manual being behind the updates, I guess, like the lack of voice commands for anything but the phone.
  12. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL
    The fact that you can't copy from USB flash is documented. Not sure why, but it says so.

I haven't tried to burn an MP3 and copy it. I've been using Audio Grabber, ripping to a folder on my desktop and copying that to the SD card. I'm no where near the card capacity -- 4 gig.