Require posting cetane rating at the pump!

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by ctsailor, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ctsailor

ctsailor Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDI w/ DSG, RNS315 nav & sunroof
    Mods:
    None.
    All,

I live in CT and am working with my State Representative to pass a bill to require posting the diesel cetane rating at the pump (as is the case for octane in gasoline) as well as regulate the use of "Premium Diesel."

We should know what we're paying for and be able to compare prices / cetane rating.

I encourage you to also contact your State Representative to do the same.

Several states require posting the cetane rating, and "Premium Diesel" generally means having a cetane rating >/ 47 as well as meeting other / ASTM D975 / NIST 130 standards.

Also: Be sure to check out toptiergas.com which is referenced in my '12 VW Owner's Manual for approved gasoline for VW (as well as BMW, Toyota, Honda, GM, and others). I realize we use diesel and IMHO, if these companies meet strict gasoline requirements, they likely also include a full additives package for diesel.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. Jim W

Jim W Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    2011 Jetta-none, 2008 RAM Mega Cab lost the BlueTe
    WHY???
    Just another cost that will be passed on to diesel fuel users for no apparent improvement in fuel.

What states?? I have traveled to many states pulling my 5er with my diesel pick-up truck and I have never seen cetane ratings posted on any pumps. I have found B10-B50 posted on the pumps and left those stations for stations that sell No.2 Diesel.
    Jim W.
  3. ctsailor

ctsailor Member

Car:
    2012 JSW TDI w/ DSG, RNS315 nav & sunroof
    Mods:
    None.
    As a consumer, I want to know what I'm paying for as I am sure is the case for others. Posting the cetane rating will enable consumers to compare the price of diesel v/ cetane rating from station-to-station.

If gas stations sold gas without the octane rating posted, consumers would have no idea what they're buying and couldn't compare prices. This is the case currently with diesel.

Putting an inexpensive sticker on a diesel pump displaying the cetane rating won't impact price, and it will let us know what we're paying for, and will hopefully make providing higher cetane ratings for the same price as other stations a competitive advantage for the retailer which benefits us all.

Additionally, we have stations in CT posting "Premium Diesel" signage for diesel having a cetane rating of 40 which doesn't meet the generally accepted rating of 47 or greater for "Premium Diesel." IMHO this is a deceptive practice.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2012
  4. DAVE PARKER

DAVE PARKER New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    Ctsailor,
    I understand your frustration at not being able to determine the cetane rating at the pump in Connecticut. However, I think that this is a state by state issue.

I can tell you in West Virginia (where I live) and Virginia (where I work) this information is required by law and posted on the pump.

cheers
    dave parker
  5. DAVE PARKER

DAVE PARKER New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI Sportwagen
    Ctsailor,
    I understand your frustration at not being able to determine the cetane rating at the pump in Connecticut. However, I think that this is a state by state issue.

I can tell you in West Virginia (where I live) and Virginia (where I work) this information is required by law and posted on the pump.

cheers
    dave parker
  6. jgeorge

jgeorge Member

Car:
    2003 golf tdi
    Mods:
    V-tech power module
    Same here in toronto area- because i know it varies from brand to brand, I carry an industrial strenght cetane booster at all times. I just add enough to surpass even the highest available-So i end up with 49-53.
  7. williamgd2

williamgd2 Member

Car:
    Jetta 2010 TDI
    Mods:
    oem backup camera,. oem type wing.,.9w7 bt, rns 510, 135lb real air horns seperate from regular horn and for emergency use only
    ctsailer I also live in Ct and I share your frustration. Our fuel prices are some of the highest in the country and that is not asking too much just to list cetane levels.