1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Replacing the RNS-510

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by phenixdragon, Mar 12, 2012.

1. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
    2010 Camaro SS, 2012 Passat TDI SEL
    I bought a 2012 Passat TDI SEL and the VW Navigation system is just terrible. I always knew OEM nab systems weren't that great but it seems like the VW one is the worst I have seen. Does anyone know if it is possible to replace the system with an aftermarket deck? It appears that in VWs just a few years old, it is possible. It also appears that the stock deck really isn't needed for anything as all the car settings are down through the desk and not the deck. It would be nice to keep steering wheel controls. I know that in my 2010 Camaro SS, Metra makes a kit that retains all controls on an after market deck. In there I have what was the top end Kenwood nab system from 2010. The entire interface is leaps and bounds beyond the stock VW one so I would like to get this same deck into my Passat.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2012
    login to remove this ad
  2. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
  3. RonJitsu

RonJitsu New Member

Car:
    No TDI yet
    Please post up how that works out for you. (keeping steering wheel control functions with the aftermarket unit). I'll be doing the same thing once my car comes in next month.
  4. AganVW

AganVW New Member

Car:
    '78 VW Rabbit, '91 VW Golf Country, '02 VW Jetta TDI
  5. clarkent5477

clarkent5477 New Member

Car:
    2001 VW GTI, 2012 VW TDI SE SunNav
    Will you be selling your RNS-510?
  6. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
    I might but undecided just yet. What would you offer though?
  7. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
    Will do. But I still need to figure out if swapping it will prevent me from doing anything.

Does anyone know for sure? I mean to me it appears all the settings are through the steering wheel controls via the dash and not through the RNS-510. The RNS-510 seems to purely just be media playback and nav and is not needed for anything.
  8. gfr1

gfr1 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat SEL TDI
    What nav sysem are you replacing it with? Or, have I missed something? Did you read Crutchfield's caution on the replacement gps receiver for you Passat? Depending on the installation, I'd guess, but you'll not have quite a number of services/capabilities after replacement. It seems like it is rather like a stand alone receiver installation that uses the wheel contols for that unit & loses most other services.
  9. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
    I am looking at the Kenwood DNX-9980HD. I have the 9960 in my Camaro. Awesome system, just it is really slow, but the best nav system out there since it is running Garmin which looks great and you can do a lot of customizing to it, such as adding alerts for red light cameras and speed traps.
  10. gfr1

gfr1 New Member

Car:
    2012 VW Passat SEL TDI
    In case you didn't read this, this is Crutchfield's warning if you install the Kenwood DNX-9980HD in your Passat SEL, with Fender. Are you up for this?

Installation Details
    Installation Details for your 2012 Volkswagen Passat Sedan With Fender Audio System
    This item fits your vehicle
    If the factory radio is replaced, the factory AUX input connection will be lost.
    If the factory radio is replaced, the factory USB input connection will be lost.
    You'll lose factory SIRIUS Satellite Radio capability if you replace the factory radio.
    You'll lose the factory navigation feature if the factory radio is removed.

Please Note: Your vehicle is equipped with a factory sound system that requires a special adapter to install a new car stereo. We strongly recommend that you purchase this adapter, and you'll save 50% if you buy it with any car stereo.

PAC C2R-VW2 $129.99† $64.99
  11. JaredC01

JaredC01 New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI 6MT
    The factory Aux input and the factory Microphone can be relocated to the aftermarket stereo, but you WILL lose the MDI. The Kenwood unit has two USB inputs that should be easy enough to route to the glovebox as a replacement though.

The wiring for both the Aux input and the Microphone run directly to the factory deck, and can easily be tapped into from factory harness.

The satellite radio can be preserved with an add-on from Kenwood, though it may not be possible to reuse the factory antenna.

The adapter IS required for the car since it's a CAN-bus system, but it's a one-time deal. Also should be looking at the PAC adapter for the steering wheel controls.
  12. clarkent5477

clarkent5477 New Member

Car:
    2001 VW GTI, 2012 VW TDI SE SunNav
    sent private message.
  13. monstersinc1

monstersinc1 New Member

Car:
    2003 Chevy Trailblazer EXT 2WD 2008 Buick Enclave CXL AWD, 2012 Passat SEL Premium
    Why not keep the RNS-510 and just get a garmin? Yes, nav is slow and not that great on RNS-510 but the rest of the unit is fine to me.
  14. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
    But of course. While I may use these functions via the factory radio, I gain them via the Kenwood, and so much more. :)
  15. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
    Because why would I want a 2nd device suctioned on my windshield and also cable running into my 12v socket? Why not keep it all clean looking?
  16. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
    Curious. In using the factory aux and mic, how can that be used on the Kenwood deck?
  17. phenixdragon

phenixdragon New Member

Car:
    I am selling the stock deck if anyone wants it. I'd like to have this sold within the next few weeks.
  18. reikred

reikred New Member

Car:
    Camry 2001
    How is the Kenwood DNX-9980HD working? Are you satisfied with it?
  19. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    What's your "sold within the next few weeks" price?