Replacing injectors on a BEW

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by luxuryrules, Apr 18, 2017.

1. luxuryrules

luxuryrules Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI
    Looking at upgrading injectors on my 04 BEW Jetta. I replaced the cam last year and that was... a job. I see the injectors are under the valve cover, but I don't remember quite how they were fastened in.

Can I do this by simply removing the valve cover? Need I be at TDC? Anything beyond pulling the injector rockers off and lifting the injectors out?

2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    new bolts for the rockers to as tty...

the injector has a bolt at the base of it... gotta drain cooling system... i beleive there is coolent flow around the injectors and will make you a nice mess.. now the trick is the tool to get the injector out of the head... i watched a guy jumping up and down on a 10 ft cheater bar bend a injector body... he refused to wait for me to grab my "lady finger" a 12" prybar that the end is 90* to the shaft and flat like a screwdriver.. i slipped it into the gap by the bolt anchor spot.. gave it a twist like loosening a screw with the tip.. pop out 3 were in 45 sec.. the bent one took me a hour as bent in such a way it had interfearance fitment issues now.. my pool would have never allowed it to get bent

3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
  4. luxuryrules

luxuryrules Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI
    Ok, so the gist of it is, drain coolant, remove valve cover, undo bolt at base of injector, pry out with fine tool (thank you for links!!!); then installation is reverse of removal?

5. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    pretty much... new o rings and such for the injectors.. lotsa lube on new ones when installing.. to damage a o-ring will fill coolent, or oil.. or both with diesel.. i do the twist while pressing into place as to not nick the o-rings.. not alot of room to twist..

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  6. luxuryrules

luxuryrules Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI
    Forgot to check - do I need to drain oil too?