replace a good rear main seal?

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by mll3k, Mar 5, 2011.

1. mll3k

mll3k New Member

Car:
    2005 golf tdi
    the clutch is out and i purchased a new rear main seal (along with the clutch, flywheel, mounts, lca bushings, ...) . however, there are no leaks and the only posts i read on rear main seals mention problems after replacement.

the car only has 90k. should i just save the part for the next clutch change?
    login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    At 90,000 miles, if it looks good, I wouldn't touch it...

All the best,

Yuri
  3. mll3k

mll3k New Member

Car:
    2005 golf tdi
    thanks for the advice. the benefit is probably not worth the risk at this point.

i read a couple of posts that said that you should replace it while you were there and decided to buy the part and gasket material. i'll save them for another day.
  4. JFettig

JFettig Member

Car:
    B5 Passat TDI
    Mods:
    TBD
    2 ways to look at it, and I agree with not replacing it.
    1. Don't replace it because it isn't leaking
    2. replace it because its old and could start leaking at any time.

However, during the process of replacing it, you could screw it up and not know it. Its not fun to get to it.

I replaced mine when I did my clutch because it was leaking. I'm glad I did but I had a scare when my CCV was leaking at the puck and dripped all the way down there.

Jon
  5. mll3k

mll3k New Member

Car:
    2005 golf tdi
    i have a leak at the tandem pump and am replacing that gasket. the rear seal looked good so i'll just let it be for now. new clutch comes tomorrow... can't wait.