random popping noise

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by lkruse, Mar 19, 2012.

1. lkruse

lkruse New Member

Car:
    2001 VW Jetta TDI
    I have a 2001 Jetta TDI, 248k miles. It has run great for its entire life. Recently, it makes a random popping kind of noise, sounds like from the drivers side top part of the engine. Could be in the large diameter hose from the air filter to the intake manifold, or in the air filter itself. I was not able to locate the source of the noise using a stethoscope. Seems like it mostly occurs at idle when hot. The random nature of the popping indicates to me it does not seem to have to do with any particular cylinder. I opened up the valve cover and the cam lobes appear to be ok. Anything else I could check?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Other than a worn camshaft which you already ruled out, could be clutch or flywheel related but you said comes from top.
  3. lkruse

lkruse New Member

Car:
    2001 VW Jetta TDI
    Tks CCBB. I actually noticed today that I can feel the vibration coming through my manual shifter lever corresponding with the popping. It may indeed be something in the clutch.