Question about reservation diesel fuel

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by Justin_E, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Justin_E

Justin_E New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2012
    Hello, I just got my new 2012 golf tdi a week ago and have done some reading on where to get fuel. I live on grand island ny which is right between buffalo and niagara falls. I know I'm supposed to look for high volume diesel sellers to do my refueling, but there aren't many around. No truck stops for dozens of miles. The only thing I can think of is down near lewiston there is an indian reservation that gets a lot of trucks and it is the cheapest in the area by far.

Years ago, people around here claimed that the regular gas from smokin joes (the station I am referring to) was inferior and causing problems with cars that gassed up there. Many people said that was just a lie. I haven't heard anything about it in years.

My problem is that this might be my best place to get diesel, and it might be my worst place to get diesel. I really don't think there are any other high volume places for quite a ways.

Any one have any helpful advice?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes, if they only have truck nozzles it may not fit into your passenger sized hole. If they get a lot of trucks the fuel is clean and all their fuel comes from the same fuel farm underground.
  3. Justin_E

Justin_E New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2012
    They get lots of trucks, and I do believe they have the nozzles for cars. I'm guessing it comes from the same underground tank but I'll have to find out. What I'm wondering is if anyone has ever heard of problems with reservation diesel being of poor quality.
  4. Aaron Butler

Aaron Butler New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta SportWagen
    Mods:
    35% tint & clear bra
    My grandfather (who lived on Morgan Drive in Lewiston) refused to buy from Smokin' Joes. I'm not sure why.
  5. Justin_E

Justin_E New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2012
    Hah. I used to have a paper route on morgan drive. Lived on Vrooman drive around the corner. Yeah. A lot of people said it was bad but no one ever really had any proof. And I haven't heard anything lately. Was just wondering if anyone who actually knows about fuel quality knew about reservation diesel.
  6. Cogen Man

Cogen Man Member

Car:
    Golf TDI/2011
    Mods:
    Window tint, window vent visors, ScanGauge II.
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=343723

A little controversy about this. The above discussion is from Ontario, Canada but it is about reservation fuel. I'd have to say just do your due diligence. Get as much info as you can about the diesel they sell.
  7. Aaron Butler

Aaron Butler New Member

Car:
    2012 Jetta SportWagen
    Mods:
    35% tint & clear bra
    No kidding!? My mom currently lives on the 600 block of Morgan Drive and I know the Vrooman family (John Vrooman used to babysit me).
  8. Cstdi

Cstdi Member

Car:
    05Passat/10Touareg/11Golf
    On the surface, I would probably go for it if it is busy with trucks. But do you know if reservations are required to follow the ASTM and DOT requirements? ( has the state ever/do they ever come in to certify the compliance of the pumps/fuel?) I would look more into it if the state is not required/do not do so. If you really want to know about the quality, you could take a sample and send it in to a lab for analysis. If the price and convenience are at the reservation, the sample will pay for itself...