Q7 Towing Questions

Discussion in 'Audi Q5, Q7, Touareg TDI, Porsche Cayenne forum' started by adr3, Jan 14, 2012.

1. adr3

adr3 New Member

Car:
    2012 Q7 TDI
    Just got a 2012 Q7. Great vehicle. Excellent for trips. Love it. Too bad it is the wife's car! I get to borrow it to pull the trailer. Big improvement over the Tahoe.

Question: I don't seem to be able to get a complete answer from the dealer about whether the electronic brake controller is built in and how well does it work?

Has any tried this? Does it just work? Is an additional controller box needed?

If it is built in how do you adjust the braking bias? (My auxilary boxes always had a dial to adjust it)

Also I am curious what fuel mileage anyone gets towing a 4000 pound enclosed car carrier.

Without the trailer we get 30 highway at 60-65, 27 at 70-75, 21 around town. Idling for extended periods seem to use fuel more than driving it.
    login to remove this ad
  2. grohgreg

grohgreg Member

Car:
    2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
    Mods:
    BlueSpark Pro + Boost (Gen2)
    No built-in brake controller in the Touaregs or Cayennes, so I seriously doubt there's one in the Audi. Given the hidey hole they stash the controller plug-in behind the Touareg dash, I went with the wireless Tekonsha Prodigy RF. Can't help you with the box trailer question either, but I get about 15mpg towing my John Deere on a 16' tandem. Combined weight is pretty close to the 7700# max. Tractor cab presents a lot of wind resistance, so you're likely to see better than that with a 4000# box.

//greg//