Q7 TDI fuel filter

Discussion in 'Audi Q5, Q7, Touareg TDI, Porsche Cayenne forum' started by whizznbyu, Dec 8, 2011.

1. whizznbyu

whizznbyu New Member

Car:
    Audi Q7 TDi/2009
    Is there a video or a step by step instruction guide for changing out the Q7 TDI 's fuel filter. I was looking at it last night and I'm not certain the filter can be changed without taking the hoses off the housing. Just wanted to make sure I'm not introducing air into the lines and killing the injectors and stuff.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    No but do you want to take one :D There's a writeup contest for this and it'll definitely make it into the FAQ and help others. I have a DIY for the oil change but not the fuel filter change. It doesn't help that VW gives free service for 3/36k and Audi owners are all too rich to DIY ;)

Looking at the filter pictures I have, you should be able to loosen the screws around the edge and lift the cap off that way, in other words, not remove any hoses. It should be very similar to this: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/fuel-filter-VW-Jetta-TDI-2005-2006.htm

What I don't know: how to prime the pump. If you turn the key to ON, does the electric fuel pump run? If not, I would prime it using VCDS. Either way, make sure to fill the filter housing w/fuel before putting the cap back on.

Can you remove the housing bottom to clean it out and dump the fuel back into the fuel tank? Any screws holding it down?

Part number for the filter and any seals?

So it should be pretty straightforward, if you were near me I'd even do it for you. But if you want to help out, please do document it so these questions can be answered. Good step by step pictorials will qualify for the writeup contest: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/writeup-award-gift-certificate-through-sponsor-kermatdi-2295/
  3. whizznbyu

whizznbyu New Member

Car:
    Audi Q7 TDi/2009
    Since VW and Audi are first cousins, I think the application for VW's should be OK for Audi. Regarding priming the lines or filter, on the B5, I've never primed anything. I know that whenever I turn on the ignition on the B5, I hear a pump from the rear of the car shoot what sounds like a high pressure column of fluid/fuel that lasts for about a half a second then it goes quiet. I think the Audi has its own pump as well.
  4. Johnny Samwich

Johnny Samwich New Member

Car:
    Q7 TDI/2011
    I have a 2011 Q7 TDI. I'd like to change the fuel filter myself. I've read that the pump doesn't run when you turn the key so you must hook it to the computer to run the pump?
    Thanks
  5. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Turn the key to the ON position. If you hear the pump running or buzzing then no. I haven't tested the 3.0L engine yet.
  6. Johnny Samwich

Car:
    Q7 TDI/2011
    I've turned the key to on and I don't hear the fuel pump. Has anyone out there change the fuel filter on a Q7 TDI? I was thinking of trying to fill the filter while installing it. The problem is it sits horizontal so it would be dificult to get it completely full.
  7. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I posted a pic of the filter in this other thread: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f20/fuel-filter-location-2722/

It looks like there's 1 vertical and 1 horizontal filter. The vertical one that looks like the other VW filters is the canister type. The horizontal one looks like you replace the whole thing. I thought it was a fuel pump but the parts manual shows 2 types of filters. The part numbers for the vertical filter are in the other thread, "8k0 127 400 a" is the part number for the horizontal filter if equipped.

If you do this, can you document it with step by step pictures? It would be most helpful since I don't have access to one and it would really help others.
  8. Johnny Samwich

Car:
    Q7 TDI/2011
    I changed my Fuel Filter. (I have the Horizontal one). I diconnected the lines leading to the old one and removed it. I installled the line going to the engine on the new one and tilted it up and filled it up with fuel using a Turkey Baster and then connected it. Car started and ran fine. Mine is a 2011.
    Dealer wanted $100. Took me less than 1/2hour.
    I had a quick look and didn't see another filter so I don't think it has another one?
  9. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I had a message from a user on another forum that asked if I could help him out as he lived local with his 2005 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI.

It appear that his wife had filled up with petrol it must have been a lapse in concentration. She realised her mistake and didn't try to start the motor. It was towed back to their home and he had a garage come around and drained the tank. As I understand they sucked the fuel from the tank via the fuel filter feed pipes into a tank on their vehicle. They connected a pipe from clean diesel on their vehicle back to the fuel filter. They started the motor up and he said it ran ok for a few minutes. They disconnected their pipes and connected the vehicle pipes after adding clean diesel it started for a few seconds then stopped they said it could be a faulty fuel pump or wiring and left him to it.

He wanted the fuel pump running to bleed the system. I did an Autoscan first just to check there is nothing else causing it not to run. There were 15 systems with faults the only one for the engine was:

VAG Error Code: 17471
    EOBD II Error Code: P1063

Fault Location:
    Fuel Pressure - Control Limit not Reached

Possible Cause:
    Air in fuel system.
    Fuel system leak.
    Fuel lift pump.
    Fuel bypass valve.
    Fuel pressure control valve.
    High pressure fuel pump.

I went into Engine can clicked OutPut Test - 03. Now there was no combobox to select Fuel Pump Relay so I had to cycle through the other components first. It showed the Fuel Pump Relay being switched On/Off but we couldn't hear the pump running. I checked the wiring diagram to find any fuses or relay. The relay is in the engine fuse/relay box after removing the screws we found it.

I removed the main fuel feed pipe to the filter and put it in a container. I went back to VCDS but it had cycled through to the next test. I came back out and tried it again and it came up with an error with something like system not enabled. I shut down VCDS and tried it again but it showed the same message. I switched the ignition off an tried it again and it operated the relay you could feel it clicking. So his problem is either its a coincidence that the fuel pump has stopped or he has a wiring fault or its something to do with P1063 error. I said he needs to check if the pump has a good power supply and earth.

I've google it this error code and one user said he cured his by replacing the fuel filter but that would fix why the fuel pump doesn't run.

Oh there is a new update out VCDS 11.11.4
  10. DUTCH VanAtlanta

DUTCH VanAtlanta Member

Car:
    2000 Mercedes-Benz G500 NMLE