Problem with Menu button and MFD display

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by kneron, Mar 18, 2013.

1. kneron

kneron New Member

Car:
    vw passat 2009 - premium - ecofuel
    Mods:
    Premium equipped, full leather (black), RNS 510 (H
    Dear All,

Posting my first post in this forum, but been following it closely.

I have a 2009 B6 passat with DSG, with white full MDS and with the MK5 MFSW.

Ive first tried to install the 9w7 (7P6035730J) together with a new RNS 510 (VW RNS 510 MFD3 LED H H61 2012 SW4120 V9).
    This did not work well at all and my MFD was locked out as my 9w7 was trying to pair/connect without any function of my steeringwheel buttons.
    My VW dealer whom also serviced my car tried to install this and they tried it for 3 days but in the end they gave up, returning my car with a locked MFD... :dunno
    Also no bluetooth/phone functionality on the RNS510 as well :(

So i installed another bluetooth kit, 3C8035730C http://www.carsystems.pl/vw-bluetooth-kit-3c8035730c-retrofit,id601.html

And it worked almost perfect, i got full functionality in my MFD and as well on the RNS510 too.

But as i said...almost :ugh

See below picture

- The menu button on the steering wheel does not work, but when i test it in VCDS, i see that it is repsonding when pushed (get a test value when i push the button).
    - MFD is still locked out and i cant access my MFD to see stuff like fuel consumption, speed warning, etc...etc. And also no access to the convience menu either any more :dunno
    - in the MFD i have my phone but also with some squares, like something is missing... :dunno

Ive spent countless of hours trying to find a sollution in the VCDS but to no avail :dunno

One thing i did notice, is that if i de-activate phone in the canbus, i get part of the MFD to work again, but cant still access the convience menu and also the menu button on the SW does still NOT work :ugh:mad:
    Also deactivating the phone (77) in canbus = no phone activity (phone book, dial,etc...etc) on my MFD :ugh:rolleyes:

I think all comes down the the menu button on the SW (see pic), i think if i can get back the functionality on it, i will get the MFD to work again and the convenience menu too.

[​IMG]

I am not sure if it comes down to something i missed when coding ...

Also worth stating, i have no errors in the VCDS, so thats why i think i have missed something :dunno:ugh:(

Anyone out there who have same problems that i have ?

Need all the help i can get on this :eek:

Regards,

//ken
    login to remove this ad
  2. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2012 Golf TDI 6MT
    Mods:
    Golf R Steering wheel, E-Brake handle and Shifter \ Sport Pedals \ Torque Pro App \ Clear Sidemarkers
    You have a MK6 MFD and radio; and a MK5 steering wheel (and likely clockspring/control). The two are not compatible as the signals are done different ways. The MK6 steering wheel has greater functionality.
  3. Outrider

Outrider Member

Car:
    2011 JSW TDI
    B6 Passat, Right

When I look at the dash photo, I'm thinking B6 Passat, which agrees with the signature. My MK V JSW dash is different from the B6; so is the MK VI JSW dash. So since you have a B6,you may be in the wrong forum. That said, many of the components are the same.

The RNS-510 came with later B6 Passats. IIRC the '09 Passat did offer the RNS-510 as a factory option in the US. My guess is that you could get the RNS-510 as an option on a Swedish market B6 Passat, so some RNS-510 models should work. Since your RNS-510 is newer than your car, though, you may have to update your CANbus controller. (There's a chance this has already been done, because you are getting a fair bit of functionality from your RNS.) If the CANbus can't recognize (or fully recognize) any of the devices in question, you have issues. That could explain some of the unusual results you are getting. Another possibility is that your RNS-510 is too new and won't work in the older car. (I think you have BAP, since you have a white MFD, but you could have DPP based on the year of assembly. e.g. my '09 Jetta SportWagen uses the DPP protocol.)

One of the best places to hash this out is with RossTech, since VCDS is integral to getting everything set up correctly.

I found this related discussion on VORTEX: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4896575-Installed-RNS-510-Lost-some-MFD-screens

This on RossTech: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Telephone_Retrofitting

Good luck.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
  4. kneron

kneron New Member

Car:
    vw passat 2009 - premium - ecofuel
    Mods:
    Premium equipped, full leather (black), RNS 510 (H
    Thx for the swift reply.

Read those items on the links, interesting, but not the same issues though :eek:

Well, i have full functionality with my RNS510, works beautifully :nana2:
    hmmm well, almost, as i cant stream music through the bluetooth yet, (bluetooth symbol greyed out)
    Thats the only issue i have with the RNS510 though.

I am using the ODBII cable, bought one from Ross-Tech and been sitting with VCDS for hours.

No errors reported.

7 out of 8 buttons work on the steering wheel :ugh

Its only the Menu button that doesnt. And if i disconnect the bluetooth unit or disable (77) telephone in the canbus, i get the MFD back again, but still, the Menu button does not work :( neither does the convenience menu work...

Is it really a possibility that the RNS510 unit locks it out?

Phone works very well, no issues with it otherwise :eek:
    Phonebook and everything in the MFD, also the RNS has everything as well on it (downloaded the phonebook worked perfectly, on first try too).

If i start navigation, all info comes up in the MFD as well...

But that menu button quirk really is a thorn in my side...maybe i have to live with it :dunno

//ken
  5. Outrider

Outrider Member

Car:
    2011 JSW TDI
    Don't Give Up, Though

Hi Ken,

Do try to get support through Ross Tech. Support is part of the cost of your VCDS. I have a few problems I am living with related to my NAV retrofit. I put an RNS-315 into an '09 JSW. The -315 works fine, but the steering wheel controls don't work and there is no nav info displayed on the (red) MFD. I need to keep researching things to see if I can improve my situation, but, like you noted...it still works pretty well.

Cheers
  6. marko30

marko30 New Member

Car:
    Passat 3C
    I have exactly the same problem with menu button as descripted in first post of kneron. I get into PHONE mode and cant get out in any way. Pressing up or down for 3 seconds does nothing as MENU button does nothing, soo i get stuck in PHONE mode.
    I have:
    RNS 510 ver. H
    Bluetooth - 3C8 035 730 C
    SWCM - 3C0 953 549 AE
    Instruments - 3C0 920 872 B
    Can gateway - 3C0 907 530 L

I think there must be some incompatibility issue.

Is there any sollution of this problem yet?