VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Power steering fluid leak and now cut belt ...

10K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  soncasey 
#1 ·
Hi,

I had a leaking power steering system (I am not sure where the leak is coming from) so I cut my belt not thinking that anything vital would be hooked up to it. Apparently I was wrong. The water pump and AC are also attached on the same belt (yes?) and my car overheated within a few minutes. It's pretty cold up here right now (north of Toronto) so I've only driven short distances a couple times.

Does anyone have any suggestions? How do I find my power steering leak? I guess I am going to have to get a new belt. What can I use for power steering fluid once I get the belt on? (it will just be getting blasted all over my driveway and road until I find the leak)

Thanks,

(1997 Jetta turbodiesel)

#4 ·
All the belts are important. Yes, the v-belt has the AC and water pump on it. Thankfully you didn't cut the serpentine belt which drives the oil pump and alternator! The leak should be obvious. It's possible the reservoir has cracked. Fill it up to min when cold, with the engine warm it should be filled to max.

#7 ·
It doesn't look like there is a leak at the actual pump, and the leak was coming from a more central area (a little more central than the oil pan) last night. Where does the pump pump to? There's a mess of liquid all over the inside area (no idea of parts etc.) and I don't know how much is boiled-over coolant from the heating up.

#9 ·
See this article for suggestions on moving the slider bolt;
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q_how_to/a3b4/passatchrip.htm

The PS fluid is a closed circuit from the reservoir to the pump and to the steering rack. There should be some banjo bolts (bolts with a hole in the middle to let fluid pass) at the pump and the steering rack. It's unlikely but these could have loosened. More likely is the high pressure hose is leaking. You just have to follow the line.

I don't know of a belt you could use to exclude the PS pump since the OEM belts are: with AC or without AC. No option for no power steering. You could have a custom belt made but I would really just try to fix the leak. Here is a diagram of the system:

#13 ·
Can't see but it's probably either the high or low pressure line. They were shown on the last page and those are the only 2 PS fluid lines there. You just have to unbolt them to replace. It's a bit of a bear but you should be able to see all the lines once you jack up the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.