Power on after key off

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by clarkent5477, Feb 27, 2012.

1. clarkent5477

clarkent5477 New Member

Car:
    2001 VW GTI, 2012 VW TDI SE SunNav
    All: On my prior VWs, it was the case that one could turn the key to the OFF position, but still have the radio function. Additionally, the cigarette lighter ports would also remain powered on all the time (key in, out, on, off, didn't matter...) In the new Passat, it appears that when one turns the key to the OFF position, the radio shuts off. I don't have a VAG or access to one (yet), but does anyone know if this is a feature that can be adjusted via VAG?

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions, and 1000 pardons if this is a noob post...

Clarkent5477
    login to remove this ad
  2. glennmax

glennmax Member

Car:
    Golf VI
    I can turn the radio back to "On" after I turn the ignition "Off" by pressing the radio's power button.
    Try it.

Different subject...the lights do not do this. When you turn the ignition off, the lights stay "On"

The operator must turn the light switch to "Off" after the ignition switch is "Off"
    The sounds of "Ding-Ding" demand it.

Never really understood the logic as to why the light switch power is not as smart as the radio power.

IMHO everything should turn "Off" when the ignition is turned "Off". If you wanted something to be "On" with the ignition "Off" ...then you could just reach over to that item's actual power switch and cycle it to "On" like the Radio.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I agree. I think their logic is that if you ignore the dinging that's what you want. Also, this lets people use the parking lights when parked on a narrow European street. They also have the parking light feature over there where if you press the turn signal to one side the parking lights will light on that side only. This saves some juice since interior lights and one side are off.

IMHO, not worth coming back to a dead battery. I left my headlights on about 15 years ago and learned my lesson. Never again, problem solved.

Here's an example on my Jetta of the parking light Euro feature, don't know if the US Passat even has this option. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/parking-light-jetta.htm

[​IMG]
  4. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Apples and oranges. The OP is referring to a 2012 Passat, which has an 'auto' position on the light switch.
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Talking of the radio not switching off.

I'm just doing a few updates in http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/ and I've come across.

EOBD II Error Code: 01744

Possible Cause: Ignition Switch Terminal P (D) - Electrical fault in circuit

Possible Symptoms:
    Power Locks operating at random while driving.
    Radio doesn't turn off when key is removed from Ignition.
    Battery drain.
    No audible confirmation from alarm horn when arming alarm system.
    On the Eos, the front windows may drop down a little if rolled up all the way.

Defective Ignition Switch (Electrical Portion).
    Wiring harness issue.

Possible Solutions:
    Replace the Ignition Switch (Electrical Portion).
    Repair damaged wiring harness.

Special Notes:
    Often times this is found with the one or more of the following codes:
    00576 - Terminal 15: Electrical Fault in Circuit.
    00883 - Ignition Switch (D) Terminal S : Electrical Fault in Circuit.
    00884 - Ignition Switch (D) Terminal X : Electrical Fault in Circuit.
    The most common cause for this is the Ignition Switch (Electrical Portion).

You need a VAG-COM\VCDS scan.
  6. clarkent5477

clarkent5477 New Member

Car:
    2001 VW GTI, 2012 VW TDI SE SunNav
    Thank you all.. Just noticed the different behaviour compared to prior VWs. I did try to turn the radio back on after shutting the key to the OFF position and it did come on. Prior VWs radio would not turn off until key was removed. Miss the cigarette lighters being on all the time.. But who cares, I'm getting 50+MPG on the way to work :thumbsup