PCM Wiring Problem

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by derekmorse, Aug 11, 2012.

1. derekmorse

derekmorse New Member

Car:
    Hey guys,

I am hoping somone here can help me with an issue (that I caused....) with my 2012 Jetta TDI. I purchased a fog light kit from ECSTuning. The install went flawless until I had to thread the switch wire through the firewall. When I did, the hook in the hanger I used opened up and shaved the coating off at least two power wires that I could see. I repaired them and all seemed well (everything worked, no codes/lights, etc...). I successfully used the ross-tech VCDS software and cable to make some minor convenience mods to the computer. When I brought the car in for a recall, they told me that they were getting no communication from the PCM when they hooked up their system to check for the most current software. They told me I must have broken a wire in the harness that goes form the OBD connector to the PCM. My question is... I know that this is VERY possible since I did screw up with the hanger, but is it possible that the VCDS software will work with no problem but their system would not be able to communicate? They are taking the car this week to tone out and fix the broken wire or wires (I'm guessing that is what they will do). Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Derek
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Not sure but if VCDS can communicate, the dealer tool should also be OK. They use the same wiring. Warning: if they replace some harness but still not fixed you still have to pay for the harness....
  3. derekmorse

derekmorse New Member

Car:
    Thats what I thought, but the VCDS works fine and the dealer is telling me that they cannot communicate with the PCM... So I wanted to make sure they are not trying to make a buck off me since I did run wires through the harness in the firewall.