VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

passat windshield replacement

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Greeku91 
#1 ·
I just got done with a very annoying ordeal...the passat got a rock crack and I went to have the windshield replaced. It didn't sit completely flush but the guy said that they put a large bead of glue that waterproofs it.

A month later, the car's horn starts beeping and the instrument panel goes nuts, the car stutters. Something is shorting. It turns out that the relay panel under the dash is soaked and the floor is wet.

Another windshield later, the passenger side is soaked.

I go to get the cabin pressurized to spot any leaks and the guy changes the windshield again. Another windshield later, the driver's side is so wet that the "A" pillar is visibly wet on the inside trim.

The 4th windshield, the manager uses a machine to pressurize the cabin and it has horrible leaks. The manager scraped out all the old gasket and put a new seal and this time it's 90% flush. I will go back once the gasket is completely cured and it should be okay this time.

So if your passat windshield isn't almost completely flush with the A pilar like the old one, it'll leak. They'll tell you that they put a large bead of sealant so it can't leak...but it'll leak. Or at least go back and have the cabin pressurized to test for air leaks.

If you suspect the sunroof drains, open the sunroof and pour water into the corner drains. The in the mk3, the drains are inside the metal A pillar and empty in the front fender. Then the water dripples out the front wheel well. In the mk4, the drains empty out next to the door hinge.

See less See more
#5 ·
Where the glue isn't sealing :)

The third windshield I was supposed to have it tested for leaks but the guy just replaced the windshield instead. The 4th time the manager tested it and there were massive leaks.

From what I understand, it's hard to get the windshield to sit flush. The easiest way is to tell them to have the manager do it. If not, you can remove the plastic a pillar trim and then loosen the front of the headliner enough so that the can squeeze the windshield in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.