Passat TDI trunk rear-seat center pass-through

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by reikred, Nov 9, 2011.

1. reikred

reikred New Member

Car:
    Camry 2001
    I looked at a 2012 Passat TDI SE 6-speed manual a few days ago and I noticed that it does not have the trunk/rear-seat pass-through (search bait: pass-thru), only the 40/60 split rear-seat fold-down.

I looked all over the web but have not been able to identify which trim levels have the pass-through or not.

Can anyone help?
    login to remove this ad
  2. wolfsburg_de

wolfsburg_de New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI 6MT
    I think it's just the SEL trim that gets the pass-thru.
  3. reikred

reikred New Member

Car:
    Camry 2001
    I'm very impressed with the new 2012 Passat, but this is a big weakness. Thousands of dollars more to get a piddly hatch in the rear seat.
  4. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    Reikred,

I totally understand your disappointment with the passthrough not being available, however I have an SEL Prem and to be honest for the extra couple of thousand dollars (what ever it is) it's well worth it think about all the other bells and whistles you are getting and also re-sale value in the future. Good luck with your vehicle and you will be very happy....

David
  5. Kchorro

Kchorro New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    Stick with the SEL premium...you won't regret it. All the extras and whistles and bell for an extra you will love them. Sometime I really don't understand people that get into the cheaper model just to get cheap and to save..to save what? and not willing to pay for all the extra that they really really want and at the end they finnish doing all those weekend project speeding time and lots of headache and frustration just to add all the extra good stuff that they did not want to pay at the beginning and after all they sometime spent even more in most cases to add then later...also they say that the model is the SE because the extra 5K o less are not worth it and trash those who got the SEL..
    Also I lease for many reason... If something is wrong with he car I have a light in the tunnel and I like to have new card every 3 years and when the passat in 2014-2015 get out with all those nice features missing in this model I get jump to get into the new.. Jejejeje I love it...
  6. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    I agree with your point on those who add the majority of missing content after the fact, but only an idiot would pay for items they don't want. For instance I rarely listen to music, so couldn't give two hoots about the Fender upgrade. Don't want leather, hole in the roof, 18" wheels, low profile tires, etc. I drive the crap outta my car, so prefer omitting unused stuff, seat surfaces that look like crap after 2 years, rims that bend easy, and so on.

So why go cheaper? Because, for lack of a better word, vehicles are one of the worst 'investments' you'll ever throw money at (not that they actually qualify as one). They depreciate in fiscal value faster than just about any other 5 figure purchase. By the way, spending thou$ands extra for the express purpose of resale value is a farce when you do the math.
  7. 69mach1377

69mach1377 Member

Car:
    2005 Passat 2.0 TDI/PD
    Used to be a time when you could the options you want, not be forced to get those you don't want.
    Things did not get better in the future...
  8. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    My Avocation...

I love my cowhide leather and hole in the roof, only bad drivers bend rims... LOL Fender system rocks... I drive 60k per year and all I do is listen to music... I guess everyone is different Kchorro drives allot as well and his vehicle is maxxed out... so its a personal preference... money is no issue to me so spending extra 5-8k is not a problem...
  9. TDICT

TDICT New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    The packaging of options has a two fold benefit for the buyer and the manufacture. Special ordered options bring up the cost of production. Dealer inventories get complicated because what ever they ordered as options it would always be the wrong to the buyer. So the manufacture makes the decision, You may get some options you don't want but the sum total would be less. Guys buying the SE want to add the 510 Nav system, road lights and other SEL standard features. It is worth the expenditure to step up to the SEL, you get it all and the resale (no matter how many miles) will always be better. Never have to make excuses as to why it does not have a particular option.
  10. Hybrid Killer

Hybrid Killer New Member

Car:
    2012 TDI Passat 6M
    Most of this is so true. All my previous cars were fully loaded and I never used all the extra features. Sometimes they end up been more headaches because all the extra stuff is prone to fail. I still don't know what's a sunroof for? always had it and they end up leaking water. I think that this car is more than well equipped as it is (SE TDI) Resale value? LOL Like he said, cars are the worst investment. The less you pay the better you're off later. The only extra money I spent was to get the TDI because it is a smart buy and will hold value better than a gas model. Anyway, to each its own I guess. Just my .2 cents coming from fully loaded cars.:)
  11. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    Thanks for making my point to "I really don't understand people that get into the cheaper model". Personal preference.
  12. hammersmith46

hammersmith46 New Member

Car:
    2012 passat tdi sel
    I agree. Zero buyer remorse. I ordered the SE then upgraded to the SEL when I became more familiar with both models. While waiting for delivery, I kept going back to make sure I was happy with the color I had chosen. The dealer had SE and SEL demos side by side. One day it dawned on me I wanted the SEL. Of course I do like leather, good sound, etc. I suppose if you really don't care for any of the extras or have any use for them, you should stay with the SE. I thought I was an SE person at one point but now I am sure I would have been sorry had I not gotten the SEL.
  13. rmeyer23

rmeyer23 New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    I had one guy tell me a long time ago, if you have the car for a number of years and/or do a lot of driving, get the top of the line model. You won't regret it, even if it was more than you were originally intending to spend.

Also when you go to sell the car later, the premium model will have a higher resale value and sell a lot quicker. I never thought I would like leather seats, you know, take it or leave it. Until one day my nephew got into the car and said "Oooohhh, leather seats!" - Priceless!

Ron M
  14. geepsterz

geepsterz New Member

Car:
    Wheel Locks on TDI SEL Premium?

OK, I love this car: Day 24 (1,122 miles) of fun driving -like a retired person.
    Today, it was a beautiful CA day, so I decided to go through the motions of changing a tire. This notion beats-out the realities of doing this on a stormy day, and on the shoulder of a narrow Interstate. I used the metal puller tool to remove the black covers from the lug bolts, -and noticed that I had no wheel lock(!) I feel like I remember that this was an optional add-on item for $100, when "building my Passat" online. Fine, so I headed to the local VW Parts Store, and the guy tells me that my car already comes equipped with wheel locks. I am dumb-founded, but needless to say, I still need these things, and so $76 later, the parts guy says that he wouldn't be surprised that I might find one of my 3 other wheels with all four locks on it(?!). After installing the wheel locks all around, I can now confirm that my car had zero locks when it left the factory (or rail-head).

My two questions are:
    (1) Did your Passat come standard with wheel locks -at least the Premium model?

(2) And new question: After weighing the original lug bolt [2.2 oz] and then weighing the VW wheel lock [2.6 oz], am I now needing to balance my wheels due to the difference in weight? My neighbor says, ..." NO, unless I drive in excess of 300 MPH...". Whaddya think? And, thanks in advance!

Oh, since retiring, I keep my speed under 105.
  15. 2ndPassat

2ndPassat Member

Car:
    Passat TDI SEL Prem. 2012
    Of course, check the website for building an on-line version of the car. All the options and variations of the SE vs SEL are listed. We own a new TDI SEL Prem., having the pass-through. Perhaps for skis, but really... I don't know what I would use the pass through section for. It is not hinged, the bottom of the hard plastic pass-through cover is partially hinged and the first thing I think a guest/passenger in the car would do is fiddle with the cover, then have it fall into the trunk. So, it's locked unless I need it someday. Nothing I would consider a deal breaker. Get the car you can afford, understand the differences between models and know your purchase. BTW, I understand the carpeted floor mats are not standard unless you get the SEL model. Seems a bit much to not include car floor mats these days. That alone could add a couple hundred bucks to the lower SE price. Be sure to look at all those little things before you order or purchase a car from a dealer.
  16. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    (1) Read no security lugs for new Passat.
    (2) Just a guess, but think your neighbor is right. My 2006 has security lugs, which are shorter, lighter.
  17. AganVW

AganVW New Member

Car:
    '78 VW Rabbit, '91 VW Golf Country, '02 VW Jetta TDI
    No. Tires/wheels aren't balanced with lug nuts in them, so it doesn't matter. All modern balancers use a threaded post through the center bore of the wheel with a centering cone and locking "nut" ... unless of course you're balancing an old aircooled wide-5. Pick a new neighbor for advice about cars. :D
  18. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    The neighobr's advice is logical... basically, that a small weight imbalance so close to the center of centrifugal axis is negligible relative to intended application.

But I see Agan's point... any imbalance is on the hub, not wheel.
  19. geepsterz

geepsterz New Member

Car:
    Wheel Locks on TDI SEL Premium?

Thanks Agan and MyAv. Your point about the centrifugal axis is well taken. Of course, I should've been more clear about the balance (wheel vs. hub), but it was worth the thought anyway. I'll be taking the car for a fast spin between Sacramento and SF today, and that will likely convince me that I had no need for concern.

I was dumb-founded when I found no (factory equipped) wheel-locks all around; although the wheels aren't that snazzy/ultra-premium, the cost to replace any wheels, tires, and the inconvenience and agony caused, would be enough to keep my car indoors, or convert my Passat into a dog house for my slobbering pitbull. Instead, $76 in wheel locks was the best choice.

Meanwhile, I am looking for a compatible backup camera for the 510 Nav, and would like to activate the auto rain-sensor feature. Lastly, I'm following chitty on the Chinese Passat head and tail light assemblies. For me, brighter is always better.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2012