1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Passat TDI MPG's???

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by ironpen, Jul 16, 2011.

1. ironpen

ironpen Member

Car:
    2011 touareg TDI, 2012 Passat SEL TDI
    I see that the DSG model is rated at 30 and 40 mpg while the stick is 31 and 43. I though they were both 31 and 43. This is a big disappointment to me. This is not mentioned on the fueleconomy.gov site but the window sticker is as above. Any thoughts from anyone. I was all ready to jump on this car as soon as available, but I am now having second thoughts. There is no drop off in the Jetta with the DSG, so why should there be with the Passat?? Maybe I keep my '06 Jetta a while longer after all. I will NOT buy a new Jetta......it is only a shell of the previous car. The thought of that suspension, worse brakes, cheapened interior is too much for me. Love my '11 Touareg TDI though.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I don't have early info on gearing yet but it's likely that the transmission is using parts from the rest of the VW parts bin which aren't as optimal for the weight. This is just a total guess, I'll take a look at fueleconomy.gov to see.
  3. TDI_Timmy

TDI_Timmy New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta
    Not sure how scientific this is - only 57mph and is there a tailwind? Doesn't look like he is following too close and it looks like a DSG. Claims that it achieves 50+ mpg @ 57mph w/ AC on.

http://askavwsalesguy.com/blog/2011/7/16/50-mpg-in-the-2012-passat-tdi.html

Just a thought. Also want to add that it seems the EPA is always conservative on their fuel mileage numbers for diesel powered vehicles.
  4. golfTDI1

golfTDI1 Member

Car:
    2010 VW Golf TDI 6M 4dr
    Mods:
    see signature
    Ironpen, keep in mind, everyone I know that drives a TDI including myself routinely in most cases average significantly better than EPA mileage numbers in most types of driving. Also, are you really that off-put by a 1mpg decrease city and 3 on the highway if you got the DSG (assuming that these data are correct)? You must check your tire pressures hourly ;)
  5. ironpen

ironpen Member

Car:
    2011 touareg TDI, 2012 Passat SEL TDI
    No, I am not that compulsive at all. I just like for the cars to perform with max efficiency. I am getting over the "shock" now, I must admit.
  6. darrelld

darrelld Member

Car:
    2012 Passat SEL TDI, 2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid
    Mods:
    ScanGaugeII, BlackVue Dashcam, V1 Radar Detector H
    Similar rating to my 2010 Jetta TDI DSG vs manual.

I usually avg 36mpg city and 45mpg highway.
  7. chunga

chunga New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    My family took our new TDI SEL Premium for its first road trip. 620 miles over the course of 4 days from SoCal to central California & back on highway 101. I was having fun playing with the turbocharger and cruise control. The tank wasn't quite full when I set the trip odometer, so the 16.7 gallons I put in at the end of the trip was probably more than we used. That calculates out to 37.9mpg. The consumption gauge in the car said we got 44.2mpg. If I didn't drive so aggressively I'm sure we could get 50mpg. This trip included crappy LA traffic, up & down big grades, and smooth open road with constant speed.

I got a good laugh at the "All new KIA Optima Hybrid up to 40mpg" billboard we saw on the way home.
  8. TDICT

TDICT New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    I have have five days of driving my 2012 Passat TDI SEL and logged 900 miles. This car is fantastic! I have just replaced 2009 JSW TDI after driving it 83k miles.
    So far my 70 mph highway mileage is 46-47 mpg and my overall mileage has been 41 with the city and stalled traffic. The results are from the MFD but when I fueled up today I did the math and the MFD was right on.
    This is is an improvement over my JSW. My highway was usually around 43 and 39 combined. I drive in the "fun" mode not the "Economy" mode so I guess if I got serious the mileage would be even better. I did notice that my JSW mileage showed a slight improvement after the 10k mark.
    i would not hesitate buying a Passat TDI based on the EPA sticker. Look at all the other things the EPA has been wrong about.
  9. MyAvocation

MyAvocation Member

Car:
    Jetta TDI 2006.5
    In a big way... I don't know if this is intentional, but the new EPA rating system seems to cater to hybrids. So much so, that hybrid ratings are over-optimistic, and little turbo diesels are just the opposite. I remember an article some years back when the rating metrics were changed. It outlined how almost every vehicle rating suffered losses, while hybrids increased.
  10. waterboy719

waterboy719 New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL

I just picked up the 2012 TDI SEL today and only have 79 miles on it so far ( asking myself why I'm on a PC right now ) On the trip home I reset the computer and traveled around 25 miles on the highway. Fairly level roadway. 65 MPH with no cruise control and I got a solid 54.1 MPG

I have taken it to the back roads to try to run thru the RMP range and I am still avg 38 MPG in city pushing it fairly hard at times. I live in CIncinnati and we have some fairly large hills around here so I am more the pleased how well this car is performing.

The only thing I have found I do not like so far is when you Blue Tooth your cell to the car you have to call by Last name first. I need to do some reading on this to see if I can change this.

Very Happy so far with my new toy. The auto Start is very Kewl
  11. alteramaxplus

alteramaxplus New Member

Car:
    97 golf tdi
    werd
    Yeah, i don't think that's a coincidence...
    I'm no conspiracy theorist, but if you haven't watched the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car" yet, find it! You'll be sick to your stomach when you realize that it was just a short time ago that it actually happened; not just in the movie, but in real live california!
    jaw drops

http://www.whokilledtheelectriccar.com/
    (i'm in no way affiliated, just very passionate about the subject after seeing the film)
    Edit: looks like its on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCC21A076039C7C0E

And chunga, I also laugh every time I see the "our new fords are so fuel-efficient" ads with the same 'claimed' hwy fuel economy that I get in mixed driving with the TDI!
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  12. Delegator

Delegator New Member

Car:
    2001 Lexus RX300
    My experience test driving (not a large sample, but multiple small ones) is that I have never been below 40 mpg combined with the automatic transmission in the TDI SEL Premium.

Also, the difference of 1 mpg city and 3 highway between standard and auto is noise. Do the math and see how many fewer gallons you'd use...it's not worth worrying about.

Finally, my general rule is that TDIs do better than their EPA ratings, while hybrids do worse. Just anecdotal, but I know I'm not the only person who has that experience.
  13. TDICT

TDICT New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    There has been a lot of speculation as to mileage, RPM @70mph and the fuel gauge readings.

Sorry for the poor quality photos, shot with cell phone.

2,200 RPM is 70 mph (this is on cruise control. MFD shows 70 mph although the needle shows it slightly higher. Fuel avarage at 70mph was 47.3 mpg.
    I fueled up and had 22.1 miles on this tank. You can see the fuel gauge still shows full. This fuel average was over at least 20 miles highway mileage. Air temp was 56 degrees.
    For what it's worth my mixed mileage is always north of 40 mpg. Not sure about the accuracy of older VW's but my 2009 TDI JSW the MFD was dead on over the course of the 82k miles I put on it.

2012 Passat TDI SEL DGS now with 2,000 miles.

[​IMG]
  14. 69mach1377

69mach1377 New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat 2.0 TDI/PD
    Your fuel gage reads full after a fillup? I heard that many don't.
  15. maxtdi

maxtdi New Member

Car:
    2011 TDI
    these threads always bring out inflated numbers.

You guys should post tank averages instead of one time shots on the freeway or trip.

From the looks of it most Passats will have issues cracking 40mpg per tank.
  16. darrelld

darrelld Member

Car:
    Mods:
    The EPA numbers are way off for the Passat DSG, I am averaging 39-40mpg in the city (got 36 with my Jetta TDI DSG) and 47-50mpg+ highway (44-45mpg in Jetta TDI DSG).

DSG is much smoother shifting in the Passat vs the Jetta. Passat engine has much better throttle response off idle, wife has burned the tires a few times without trying.
  17. TDICT

TDICT New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    Your comment is out of line. Many posts discussing tank averages. Questions have been raised as to RPM @ 70mph with DGS vs 6mt. That was the reason for my last post.
    No problem getting 40+ per tank with a considerable mix of city. Tank averages mean very little due to driving conditions, traffic, average speed and driving style. My daughter always got better mileage with her 2010 Jetta TDI than I did when I had my 2009 JSW TDI. EPA has been way off on the Jetta 2009 TDI CR and they are off on the 2012 TDI Passat. It is amazing that a car with the size, room and performance of the 2012 Passat TDI gets the MPG's it does with style and the "fun to Drive" factor.
  18. darrelld

darrelld Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Reset at tank fill.

[​IMG]

Urban driving average.

[​IMG]
  19. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    MPG

I am averaging 45 or so with a K&N Filter....I noticed it drives better now with the filter... LOVE MY TDI... Now the only issue I have is the fuel gauge. I fill up and it only goes to the 2nd last line even with fuel topped off to the rim... NOT HAPPY! (yes I have waited re-started removed and re-installed gas cap still does not go to Full line)
  20. darrelld

darrelld Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Are you filling on a flat surface?