1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

Passat Suspension

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Peter_HMR, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Peter_HMR

Peter_HMR New Member

Car:
    Passat B5.5
    Have a 01 AWX Passat with 160k which I've had since June last year at 119k. I'm not sure of the history before that. The suspension seems to be a little 'floaty' if i turn left right left it will kind of float each way instead of jerking if that makes any sense. Also generally driving theres a tendancy to understeer a little and on the motorways theres a floaty sensation when driving in a straight line. Nothing ridiculous but enough. There is also a knock in the front left when going over rough road/bumps.

First thing is is there one aspect of the suspension that will cause this rather than it just been generally worn. I was thinking of replacing the sway bar links. I don't have the money right now to do the whole lot and want to avoid buying one of the cheap kits. I was thinking if I replaced the sway links with lemforder it would keep me going for another 3-4 months and then I could get the full kit.

Secondly whats the generally feeling on 'spurious' kits I know the quaility is inferior but is this limited to the life of the suspension or safety as well. What I mean is does it mean it will just wear much quicker or am I looking at a control arm breaking in 60k. Cheapest I can find is Lemforder on GSF which is around £400 for 8 control arms 2 outer TRs and links.

Thrird thing is springs and shocks what is the lifetime on these and would there be a noticable improvment and changing these.

Basically I want to fix my current problem to maintain the driveability of the car but would like to do a complete suspension refresh in a couple of months. I like to keep things OEM if possible as parts are better quaility and you dont run into other problems. I would like to increase the stiffness and lower the ride height but don't want to be putting other components under pressure CV's etc. by lowering.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    The lemforder is fine. OEM isn't the best either so don't worry about buying an aftermarket arm kit. If I were you, I'd save and do the whole suspension at the same time. It'll save time and effort in the long run. The sway links should help but you could have a bushing problem elsewhere.

Spring and shock lifetime is not definite. Springs sag over time due to the weight of the car and shocks also wear with use. Heavy loads will wear them out faster. With average use, I would change the shocks by 150,000 miles, many people change them every 100,000 to keep the car feeling fresh. But springs and shocks won't make the car turn in much sharper.

An alternative is a bigger sway bar - it will sharpen turn in through reducing understeer but some understeer is good. VW tuned the suspension to be safe for all drivers but you can reduce understeer without being too unsafe. If you reduce understeer to much though, poor technique during at the limit turns will cause snap oversteer.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI