Paint & Interior Protection

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by baldeagle, Dec 15, 2011.

1. baldeagle

baldeagle New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL
    It seems all auto dealers push "the greatest" interior and exterior protection products. While researching online like all things some people are pleased while other declare it nothing but a waste of money.

I bought a black VW Passat with Beige leather interior. Having kids I would really like to protect the inside, while protecting as much as possible the exterior.

Any one have products or companies they could provide suggestions? I live in Southern California.

Thanks
    Michael
    baldeagle
    login to remove this ad
  2. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    Detailersdomain is a pretty good source. Talk to Phil, he's very helpful.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Beige is a harder color to keep clean and how clean you want it depends on how picky you are. Leather should be wiped down with soap+water and then conditioned at least once a year. Sun+heat really dries out leather which is basically processed skin. Window tint will do the most to protect the interior but window tint can be scratched by kids/dogs/paper towels, etc.

I wouldn't buy from dealer as they're overpriced. I do all my detailing myself because at an auto detailer, time=money. They often don't keep their tools clean which can put more scratches into the paint than you had before. Lots of good ones out there but price=/=quality. I had to fix some scratches a bad detailer put into a friends car after buying the detailer's top package.

Also, taking care is more important than buying "the greatest" product, IMHO. Professionals all have their preferences because they like to split hairs but as long as you regularly clean and don't try to clean coffee out of the carpet using bubble gum, buy what is on sale and do a little research.
  4. AganVW

AganVW New Member

Car:
    '78 VW Rabbit, '91 VW Golf Country, '02 VW Jetta TDI
    Like Chitty said, do a little research and you'll find something you like. I order from this site: http://www.autogeek.net/. They have a variety of products from numerous vendors. They also have good info which will help steer you in the right direction.
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
  6. 2ndPassat

2ndPassat Member

Car:
    Passat TDI SEL Prem. 2012
    SoCal as well.... If you are into doing things yourself, rather than expensive auto detailers, I recommend a couple products which I've used for years.

One Grand Blitz Wax (hand made auto wax made in Ventura CA) Best car wax I've ever used. Their company makes other auto-care products, but I've only used Blitz Wax.

Armor All multi-purpose cleaner. Cleans really well... I'm not so much into the Armor All Protectant, but their cleaner is a really good product.

Those are my two favorites. Black cars (we've had three of them) are difficult to maintain. If you hand wash, use cotton or microfiber cloths for cleaning instead of brushes. Swirls and streaks can be avoided with care.
  7. yarble10

yarble10 New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2010 Toyota 4Runner Limited
    I like the Stoner products. www.moreshine.com. They are based in Quarryville PA and all their products are can based. Makes it really easy cleaning car. They sell a starter pack for $49.99 that gives you a assortment of products from Invisible Glass to Speedbead wax. You even get a terry cloth and microfiber towel. As mentioned before, they make "Invisible Glass" which you can get a local retailers. However, the full assortment is only available on their website. Another great product is Honda Polish. Also can based available at Acura/Honda dealers and all Honda motorcylce dealers. Works great on door jams.
  8. VdubDiesel

VdubDiesel New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SEL PREM
    Mods:
    HID Low Beam and HID Fog, Rain Sensor, Rain Closur
    I sold high end Land Rover/Jaguars for years... Don't buy it it's non-sense, most of the time it's not applied correctly so invest in taking your vehicle to a detail shop every so often..... Also the cost of these things are so inexpensive to dealers they buy it for 20-100 and sell it for 300-700 how I know this, my commission I used to make on this was crazy...