p0101 "pending?"

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by jeffhodge69, Jul 25, 2011.

1. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    06 MK4 Golf PD, 5 speed,

I have recently been getting a check engine light that comes up p0101 pending. As I'm sure many of you know that the code is for a MASS air flow sensor. Vehicle runs very well and seems to be getting around normal fuel mileage(about 45 mpg combined). The light has been rearing its ugly head 'bout every 200-500 miles. I have the ROSS tech hardware and software. My question is should I replace the mass airflow sensor(pricey) or clean it, or not worry at this point. Don't want to be left on the side of the road. Thanks guys
    login to remove this ad
  2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Check the things on this list first

VAG Error Code: 16485
    EOBD II Error Code: P0101

Fault Location:
    Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70)/Volume air flow (VAF) sensor - range/performance problem

Possible Cause:
    Intake leak/blockage.
    Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70).
    Volume air flow (VAF) sensor.
    Engine control module (ECM).

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    As far as I know, a bad MAF will not leave you stranded. It may leave power low or make the car run poorly but you can still drive. At this point I would use some electrical cleaner spray and check for dust inside the airbox (downstream of filter)
  4. jeffhodge69

jeffhodge69 Member

Car:
    2006 Golf TDI
    Thanks Chitty, I will give that a go first. This all seems to correlate with me deciding to dump some Redline Diesel Fuel Catalyst in a full tank. Yes, genius I know. That's the last time I put anything in that tank but diesel fuel. What exactly does "pending" indicate vs. just a good old run-of-the-mill P0101.
    Thanks again guys