Options Sticker and Engine Codes

Discussion in 'General Diesel Discussion' started by Keithuk, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Hi Guys.

Now I've had this info for a long time I've just seen it again so it may as well go in here.

Let me start from the beginning. Every VAG vehicle made has an Options sticker. One half of this sticker is on the first page of the service schedule the other half will be stuck on the boot floor somewhere near the spare wheel well (depending on the vehicle). Sometimes the engine code is on a sticker on the timing belt cover.

Or you can type your VIN number into VIN search tool that will show the engine code at the top under Type Moteur. You can double-click the example VIN number to see what shows. Its French so you can use the language translator or use VAG Option Codes below to conver the option codes to English.

This sticker will show lots of info about that vehicle. This is a google it sticker so it may not be exactly the same as yours.

[​IMG]

If you want to know what all the other option codes are then type them into VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda Option Codes Decoder. These Option Codes will tell you what was fitted to the vehicle when it came from the factory.

Now if you have a lot of time on your hands you can download VAG Option Codes 235 page pdf file and have a read through them all.
    In that pdf there is a link to http://vag-codes.info/ where can type in the PR Codes but you can type in the engine code and it tells you which models the years they were fitted with that engine.

So if someone is after an engine you will see which vehicles used the engine code.

VAG Engine & Transmission Codes
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2013
    login to remove this ad
  2. HBarlow

HBarlow New Member

Car:
    2009 VW JSW TDI
    Keith,

Apparently VW TDIs destined for US retail markets are not compatible with your VIN Query website. I followed your link in a current 02/20/2013 post to your message about deciphering VINs and tried to use your link. It was in French and I was not able to read it but at the top was a large red exclamation point in a triangle and the words "US."

Do you have a similar alternative for US market cars?
  3. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    I didn't know it would decode US VAG VIN numbers, we will see what comes back if anything in a couple of days.

The large red exclamation point in a triangle and the words "US." means:

When is shows details of my VIN number and others I've typed/pasted in.

It is a French site but if you translate the French to English it says:

Free VAG VIN decoders aren't that common on the web even if you google it them. I made a thread not long after joining here. http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-vw-vin-number-decoder-3001/

I have found another VIN decoder a few weeks ago that works with your VIN number if you want to try it?

VIN Decoder

This site won't decode my VIN number.
  4. HBarlow

HBarlow New Member

Car:
    2009 VW JSW TDI
    Keith,

Thanks a lot, my friend. The last VIN decoder you sent, the one for US cars, worked for me. I keyed my VIN into the search engine and printed out all the details to save in my VW file.

I appreciate your help today.

Harvey
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Ok I've google it for more VIN decoders and I've found http://www.vin-decoder.net/sample_vw_vin_decoder you obviously click on US VIN Decoder and paste you VIN number in and type the Captcha: code and your VIN shows up. It recognises TDIJSWFan VIN number but it doesn't recognise my VIN number.
  6. HBarlow

HBarlow New Member

Car:
    2009 VW JSW TDI
    Thanks, Keith. I tried it and it works as you said.

I see the VIN does not correctly identify transmission type. Mine is a DSG but this decoder website indicates it's a manual six speed. The other decoder website you provided offered the choice after the VIN was decoded.
  7. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  8. HBarlow

HBarlow New Member

Car:
    2009 VW JSW TDI
    No, learned that lesson many years ago. There is no free lunch.