1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

oil residue on intercooler pipe boot

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by TDI-PILOT, Apr 3, 2011.

1. TDI-PILOT

TDI-PILOT New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    Mods:
    Bone stock
    Hello all,

Today I performed the TB, waterpump, tensioner, idler and serpentine belts replacement on my 2005 Passat TDI GLS. I noticed when I was under the car that on each side of the front end of the car there are rubber pipes that are connnected to a steel tube that runs across the bottom of the core support. I found some oil residue around the joints in these boots. I know these boots have to do with the turbo/intercooler system but, where is this oil coming from and should I be alarmed by its presence?

There was not a huge amount of oil there but, just enough to attract dirt and road grime. Is this something out of the ordinary?

I strongly suggest the dieselgeek TB kit and crank/cam locking tools.
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Perfectly normal, it's just a bit of oily residue that gets blown through from the turbo, if you notice your oil level starts disappearing without any sign of a leak I'd be concerned.:)

welcometomyturbodies
  3. TDI-PILOT

TDI-PILOT New Member

Car:
    2005 Passat TDI
    Mods:
    Bone stock
    Thanks Seat I appreciate the advice.
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    No worries, these things can be a bit alarming when you don't know any better but you can also take off the turbo hose that goes upto the inlet manifold and check for excessive oil.:)
  5. TNSBug

TNSBug New Member

Car:
    New Beetle
    Oil in these places is normal. You may clean the intercooler ductwork with dawn dish washing detergent. and reassemble. Note it will get oily again.
  6. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Well it's different for an intro:D

welcometomyturbodies