Oil Pump 2001 Beetle TDI

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by BugginOut, Jun 15, 2012.

1. BugginOut

BugginOut New Member

Car:
    NB 2001
    Mods:
    None yet....Looking to make it mine...
    Is it possible to change the oil pump with motor in the car? Are there procedures somewhere? ZERO OIL PRESSURE.
    Thanks
    login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Yes... but with zero pressure, I would suspect the chain and tensioner, and would expect some type or racket - at least for a while...

If you only need to replace the oil pump (last time I checked, IDparts had the best price), you just need to remove the oil pan... you may need a few special tools - to remove the 2 "hidden" bolts close to the transmission, and possibly a large Torx to remove and reinstall the sprocket at the front of the oil pump. However, if you need to put in an oil pump chain and tensioner, you must remove the crankshaft sprocket (after having removed the harmonic balancer) - which needs a very strong counter-hold tool (you can make one out of 1/4" angle steel - the "official" VW tool is #3415... you'll also need a new bolt, BTW, and a new seal) and then the flange right behind it. Aside from the physical demands (that bolt is TIGHT... I needed to use 3/4" drive breaker bar plus a 5 foot cheater pipe... the 1/2" stuff - because I was using extensions - was insufficient... 88 Foot*Lbs plus 90 degrees...), it's not all that difficult... However, you will need timing belt lockdown tools, as you'll be loosening the timing belt... hopefully the lack of oil pressure has not caused any damage to the engine or turbo...

All the best,

Yuri
  3. BugginOut

BugginOut New Member

Car:
    NB 2001
    Mods:
    None yet....Looking to make it mine...
    Agreed

I hope so to, this is getting really pricy quickly. Might do the crank bearings to, depending how it all looks.
  4. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    Crank bearings? Unless the car was run without oil, they tend to last a very long time... the Turbo goes out first due to oil starvation, then the rod bearings, camshaft bearings, lifters and rings...

As for this becoming pricey... cars cost money to maintain and repair... German cars more so, but I'm sure that if you had a Japanese or American car with this type of repair, it wouldn't be much cheaper... of course, these cars tend to last a lot longer than those others, so we tend to keep them running...

Yuri
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012