Oil for 04 TDI Jetta

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Tbone, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Car:
    04 Jetta TDI Wagon
    I've been reading about oil for my 2004 TDI Jetta and am wondering what people recommend. Some of the articles I've read are a few years old and things can change.

I had planned on using the Castrol available at Canadian Tire but now found it's rated for 505.00 and my car requires 505.01. I'd like to save money but not sacrifice quality.

Opinions or links to info would be appreciated.
    login to remove this ad
  2. xmachineheadx

xmachineheadx New Member

5w-40 and 505.01 rated. It protects better than 5w-30.
  3. shuswap

shuswap Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI auto
    I bought several jugs of Mobil 1 turbo diesel truck 5w-40 at Wallyworld for around 30 bucks. The cost of oil is less than $2 per 1,000 Km or relatively small compared to any other item, especially when you leave it in for 16,000km.

If you want to save $ look to buy OEM quality filters, fuel & oil on- line, 3-4 at a time. You'll save quite a bit doing this. Site sponsors carry them. I do this because local jobbers charge far more than double....just too much for me.
    I bought that same oil at Canuck Tire and now I get to buy a cam too!

Haw!!
  4. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Car:
    04 Jetta TDI Wagon
    So I have to decide between rotella T6 or Mobil TDT. The rotella is slightly cheaper.
  5. shuswap

shuswap Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI auto
    Don't think either are warranty VW approved, but then a proven track record means more to me than anything else.

VW still think a cam is ok, even if it's worn to the nubs.

From my reading, either of those oils will be fine
  6. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Car:
    04 Jetta TDI Wagon
    Picked up some Rotella T6.
    I plan to check the cam when I do the timing belt next month.

Tbone
  7. heritage03

heritage03 New Member

Car:
    2005 VW Jetta TDI
    I would stick with any 505.01 spec oil for the PD engine, why risk cam issues over a few cents a liter for oil. I have a 05 Jetta and would not take a chance on oil. I have switched now to Amsoil Euro oil which is a 505.01 spec, lots of debate about this oil but have used Amsoil Vtwin oil in my Harley and would not use anything else. Oil temp runs 7 to 10 degrees cooler with this oil over Harley dino oil.
  8. Tbone

Tbone New Member

Car:
    04 Jetta TDI Wagon
    There's so many varied opinions on oil selection. I know someone who's been using castrol 505.00 in a PD with no problems and another who had no clue he needed special oil. On the other hand there's people who used 505.01 since day one and have failures.
  9. jimjay

jimjay New Member

Car:
    VW NB TDI AGR 98 5spd
    I am going to piggy back my question onto this thread, hope it is ok.

I to am looking at Rotella T6 oil for my NB TDI, 98, but I have a slightly different angle, Four months the year the temps are cool, the other eight months can get toasty(see attached). I was thinking that the 5w40 biggest benefit is a cold start and the oil moves into and through the turbo faster, resulting in less wear on the turbo. In Fresno the summer low temps at night are 65-70F, with these warm temps should I switch to a 10w40 or maybe even 15W40.

The part the I don't know is when a lighter oil(5w40) gets hot( run temp + 100 degree day) do they protect to a lower degree than the thicker oils.

Thanks

Attached Files:

10. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    They should protect as well as any x-40W oil... that's why you choose an x-40 oil rather than an x-30 oil...

Yuri
  11. shuswap

shuswap Member

Car:
    2005 Golf TDI auto
    It does seem that way, doesn`t it?

But....
    Have they actually inspected their camshaft lobes for wear? Or is the motor running OK.....so they haven`t looked.....which could have been the case with me, except that I made the awful mistake of LOOKING!!

I still think it is preferable to be informed and (hopefully) avoid complete destruction of the engine as well as the embarrassing stuck-in-the-middle-of-nowhere scenario.
    BTW....My 2005 PD owner`s manual specifically states that I must use 505.00 oil. HUH??
    So...
    Now I check the cam every 6-7,000 miles(at oil change) and I find that it seems to have slowed the wear rate somewhat....but I am considering my options, looking for a solution other than simply replacing with a cam that will, in turn, need replacing in another 100k miles. There are MANY ideas floating around, like so much flotsam.....so I`m waiting to see what floats to the TOP! :eek:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011