Oil coming out of cat

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by borjawil, Nov 13, 2017.

1. borjawil

borjawil New Member

Car:
    2006 TDI Jetta
    2006 Jetta BRM 1.9L 200k

Since i bought this car 2 years ago I've had nothing but problems. Loved the car when it worked. Ill give a brief history of everything in case it helps.
    in chronological order : - Harness chafe issues, replaced with used harness - lifter wore out, replaced cam and lifters approx 30k ago - replaced fuel filter approx 3k ago - Started getting black smoke, white smoke so I replaced vacuum lines and tested actuators (the vacuum devices near firewall turbo) - DTC set for recirculation gases and bank 1 sensor 1 stuck rich, cleaned out intake, ASV, and EGR valve, still same issues - car sat for a number of months - tried starting and back pressure caused starter fail and car would not start - Cut exhaust after cat and vehicle starts, runs, drives - code still present for O2 and recirculation, and #4 glow plug - Car driven 300 miles - noticed hissing from EGR flap bushing fail, removed actuator and welded flap at 1/2 movement - Drove fine still CEL (during middle of 300 mile) - Parked over night - next day noticed speed sensor loose, removed oil filter housing to tighten sensor - Now is acting as it did with clogged muffler before cutting exhaust.

So this is where Im at. Still burning oil/lots of smoke due to oil in exhaust. My questions are why is there oil coming out of my cat? My best guess is failing turbo seals unless there are other possible causes. I have checked intake tube to cooler that connects to ASV, and lower cooler tube on driver side. Only residual oil nothing "poured" out. At this point I'm assuming my cat is now clogged due to the smoke/oil issue and that is why it is hard to turn over (back pressure). Remove plugs and it'll turn fine.

2. borjawil

borjawil New Member

Car:
    2006 TDI Jetta
    UPDATE: I deleted the EGR cooler. I did so by blocking off the opening near the ASV and the exhaust port near the cat. Connected coolant lines. My cat is puking oil. Drove it around the block and its everywhere underneath. What would cause the cat to puke oil? Its directly connected to the turbo if I'm not mistaken. So seal in the turbo or...something is force feeding the turbo a lot of oil?

3. Ol'Rattler

Ol'Rattler Well-Known Member

Car:
    06 TDI Jetta
    Turbo oil seal. your car can go into sudden runaway and cause severe damage to the engine.