Oil coming from the lower intercooler hose

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Lucretiuss, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Lucretiuss

Lucretiuss New Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Sport
    Hi Guys,

Just as a preface, I had a bit of an oil leak coming from the intake hose on the side of my turbo (04 jetta TDI) so i fixed it by putting on a doggie collar. I thought that would be the end of it but there is still some drops of oil on my driveway when I park the car. The other day I put the car up on the hoist at work and found another oil leak. It is on the hose that comes from the bottom of the intercooler, after the plastic part (if you go here and look at the picture http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=316831 you can see it - coming from the bottom of the intercooler is a plastic pipe and then the hose im talking about).

In the last 3 weeks I've topped up the oil a few times though usually just a little bit. As in, I dont have to pour in a liter or anything, maybe a quarter of a liter, if that.

My question is, I know oil pools down there in a low point but is this enough oil to be suggesting turbo seal failure? I'm not convinced yet that it is and i'm going to take off the hose tomorrow and see exactly how much oil is down there. My first instinct was to just replace or fix the hose so it had a proper seal and then I read a ton about diesel runaway and got ultra paranoid. I'm a first time TDI owner so this is all a learning thing for me. The intercooler is all on the intake side right? so if there is oil leaking there it is in the intake side - where the risk for runaway exists?

Heres a couple bad pictures of where the oil seems to be leaking:

http://imgur.com/jXK1Vuf,sNd9Eok#0

As I mentioned, since I'm a beginner here any technical terms, as in what these parts and hoses are called as well as their function is greatly appreciated.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    wash engine and blow dry.

then confirm where oil is coming from. sometimes it comes from below, behind, or above and gets blown around.

usually, leaking turbo oil stays in engine intake tract, not related to oil leaking from pressure hoses. That just means the pressure hoses are leaking.
  3. Lucretiuss

Lucretiuss New Member

Car:
    2004 Jetta TDI Sport
    excellent

Excellent. Thank you. Do you know what that particular section of hose is called? I think I'm going to replace it.

I had the car on the hoist on friday and it looked to me like that was where it was coming from and the hose was really loose inside the housing. I could jiggle it around, exposing some oil. I cleaned it off by hand with a rag so Maybe i'll lift her back up again tomorrow and see whats going on down there now.