noob saying hello

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by walshe, Mar 31, 2012.

1. walshe

walshe New Member

Car:
    ford galaxy 1998
    hi peeps, my name is mark and i am from Ireland. have a 1998 ford galaxy and am here trying to help a friend with a 2003 seat alhambra with constant no power. i stumbled on this site through google it
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    If it's constant I'd start with checking the maf, unplug it and if there's no change it's the likely culprit or the wiring for it. It should run worse if the maf's working but it'd be a good idea to confirm it with vagcom. Also if it does turn out to be the maf get a decent bosch one as the cheapies can tend to be a waste of money.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/MAF-sensor-testing-VW-cleaner.htm

Another option involves matches, petrol and insurance :D

welcometomyturbodies
  3. walshe

walshe New Member

Car:
    ford galaxy 1998
    cheers i did have a read of that and armed with vcds it confirmed it was the maf, just to be sure i took the maf off my ahu engined Ford galaxy and fitted it to the Seat and it was like night and day the difference in power.
    we were discounting the maf because it was less than a year old and supposed to be a genuine part. my friend has another friend who works in a Seat main dealer who sold him the maf, there are no markings or part numbers anywhere on it so i doubt its genuine.
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Yeh it sounds like one of those cheapy jobs, they can work but tend not to last well or can be bad from the outset. I'm suprised the AHU one worked though, I would've thought he'd have a much newer engine in his and the AHU one would be incompatible, learn something new everyday.
  5. walshe

walshe New Member

Car:
    ford galaxy 1998
    Well it worked but when i checked it with vcds it had a requested of 250 and actual was between 300 and 600 so either mine is on the way out too or it was doing what it could in the wrong engine. Lol.
  6. walshe

walshe New Member

Car:
    ford galaxy 1998
    On another note i was checking my injector quantity on my ahu and its down around 1.8 to 2.0 and adaption could only bring it up to 2.6. I have changed my injector nozzles for low milage second hand ones. They are .170mm .184's where my worn ones were actual .184mm so maybe thats the problem???
  7. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    Nah they're not, could you imagine a nozzle 1.84 cm's wide lol, that's bigger than a hose pipe :D
    Are you sure they're .170? Sounds like a wierd size, what did they come out of?

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/TDI-nozzle-FAQ.htm#nozzlesize

Mine are .232 but they're great, I got them properly installed and set up though for the standard map. To get your IQ to change you'll need to do what's called the hammer mod.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/IQ-adjust-hammer-mod-TDI.htm

You only need to do it if the car's a bit smokey otherwise i wouldn't bother myself. Mine's up around 6.5 but my nozles are huge so I need the actual fuel a bit low so as not to smoke and waste power. Need a remap really. Keep in mind too that the higher the IQ number the lower the actual amount of fuel getting injected.
  8. walshe

walshe New Member

Car:
    ford galaxy 1998
    They came out of a 90bhp vw caddy alh engine there is no smoke so i suppose it is fine, i plan on getting .216's soon so i guess it might correct itself or go the other way like yours
  9. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    Mods:
    If they're from an ALH then they'll be the same .184, I reckon the 170 is just some other random number stamped on them.
    As for mine, they don't chuck out any reek really, light haze when really trying hard but that's about it. A good bump in power though especially the torque.