no power , smoke, misfire around 2k rpms

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by anap42, Jun 30, 2012.

1. anap42

anap42 New Member

Car:
    03' Jetta TDI
    Vnt actuator fully engaged (pulled down) at idle. If I unplug N75 solenoid there is no vacuum to actuator and it rests at full extension. Does this mean ECU is calling for full vacuum and the solenoid is fine? I swapped N75 with EGR solenoid and symptoms are the same. Vnt actuator is new and adjusted to specs( starts at 5 stops at 18) Any opinions? Thanks.
    login to remove this ad
  2. anap42

anap42 New Member

Car:
    03' Jetta TDI
    Also engine is sucking all its air from intercooler and none from air cleaner. I don't understand this???
  3. heyadam

heyadam New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2002 TDI
    Same problem!

My 2002 Golf TDI started operating without the turbo. I don't get a CEL at all. I can feel the boost appears uneven. I get a clack-clack sound at certain points in my acceleration.

I am wondering if the occasional sound means the VNT vanes are not turning? Something else there?

Anyway, diagnosing over the weekend. The dealer wants to replace the whole turbo and my other repair shop thinks that it might be something else or the turbo might need to be cleaned.

Have to take my next step on Monday. I want my car back!

--heyadam
  4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    impossible unless you have a major intake boost leak.

your vnt actuator and solenoid sound like they're working fine.
  5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Hard to say but you won't hear the VNT vanes sticking, check out turbo disassembly DIY and actuator replacement DIY articles, if at least to know what to ask dealer
  6. crsmp5

crsmp5 Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    the one vnt-15 i had rebuilt at http://www.xsboostturbochargers.com/ for 350ish, this was with new/rebuilt vnt sectiion.. id hear a odd click/clack once in a while...

but i ran tests with a boost and vacume gauge at same time.. boost for boost level and vacume gauge T'eed into the vnt to see why id get limp.. all systems 'functoned" via gauges but boost was too high.. so at that point it was turbo time..

via a forum of local vw people someone posted a link to the place above.. i went in person to check them out.. their webpages suck... very impressed.. they balance/clean it all..

now before you do the its a turbo thing.. do not be like my usless stealership and go its a turbo... how long since the intake was desludged?? if its "restricted" it will do all your faults... if thats done... then see what boost vs vnt vacume is.. if thats right seized vnt ist possible..