No Heat and im stumped!

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by Beerbaron666, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Beerbaron666

Beerbaron666 New Member

Car:
    2005 Jetta tdi
    Hi there, i have an 05 jetta and i cant seem to get any heat and its driving me crazy!! Ive just done the timing belt and water pump, new thermostat and housing and still no heat. Ive checked the blend doors and the foam looks good and the doors move freely. I flushed the heater core and water seems to flow through it fine , it wasn't all grungy coming out. The upper rad hose gets warm the bottom stays cool so the thermostat seems to be working. I stumped on what else it could be. Any ideas would be great and thanks in advance, cheers

2. zealer

zealer Member

Car:
    2001 Jetta TDI
    Mods:
    Stock
    How cold is it out? Driving mine around in -20 to -30 celcius it doesn't really warm up. Temp needle will move a tick or two but that's it. Enough to use defrost but not much more. Have you tried blocking off the front grille?

There also could be air trapped in the cooling system since the flush. You could try burping it again.

3. gt4494

gt4494 Active Member

Car:
    2005 NB
    Southeast Coast on I-95. Radar detector on and yes Herbie still gets 40mpg at 80 mph
    Worse case if you just drive local is to do the truckers trick and block off the radiator. You can use cardboard.

When my thermostat stuck open, the engine would only reach full temp when it was 100degrees F and I was cruising at 80mph. as soon as I slowed down to 50-60 the temp would come down below the 195 target engine temp.

Diesels are very cold natured.