Newcomer

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by mk2tdi, Jul 10, 2012.

1. mk2tdi

mk2tdi New Member

Car:
    1990 GOLF
    Hi all! Always nice to browse great VW forums. I'm a VW Technician from North America. I live in Ohio. I have a MK2 GTI that I swapped with a VR6 and have recently been interested in the possibility of swapping a MK2 with a TDI (possibly PD). Does anyone know of anybody doing that yet, and if so are there any pitfalls other than the MK3 - MK2 engine/trans mounting relationship and obvious? I was thinking that the drive axles might strain under the low end torque but my GTI hasn't popped any axles and I have beaten the ****ens out of it. Well, I hope to meet some people on here and also hope that somewhere in the mix my wealth of knowledge benefits this site someday!

BTW - I love how this forum is organized and the DIYs are very helpful to anyone (even techs). I wish there were more forums like this. :)

-C :ban:nana2:
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    mk3 and earlier mounts are diff style so if you want to use mk4 or newer the custom mount will come close on right side, drivetrain should be OK.

Also, 99-00 and newer have immobilizer but you can remove w/chip flashing.

welcometomyturbodies
  3. mk2tdi

mk2tdi New Member

Car:
    1990 GOLF
    Yeah, I've heard of people stuffing the cluster electronics and reader in some (hidden) spot in the car with a key inserted, lol. I know the MK4 mounts are different from the MK3. I'm more interested in reliability vs. availability of the required items. Possibly, the MK4 ALH style TDI setup would be better than the newer Pump Deuse. I know about the Pump Deuse reliability problems on most fronts. ALH might be the way to go after all, for me that is. Thanks for your input.
  4. mk2tdi

mk2tdi New Member

Car:
    1990 GOLF
    BTW - Do you mean Right side being the passenger side? I wonder what kind of MPG I could get on an ALH setup in my MK2. GAS here is around 3.50 / gallon and diesel right now I believe is about the same price as gasoline. This swap would be mostly for economy. I read in a GOLF + magazine about a MK2 that had a diesel swap that was setup for some serious Newton Meters to the ground. I just want to jet around in my MK2 getting a reliable 60 mpg.