VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Newbie from Heidelberg in South Africa

841 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  willem wikel spies 
#1 ·
Hi to all of you!

Just a newbie here on a nice site indeed.
Having a MK4 jetta tdi, 2002, 210 000km on the odo.
A newbie with not much problems as such apart from a rear door lock problem and normal maintenance!

So yes, good one are indeed made.

my searches on the web, was more related to:
normal maintenance attention to the vehicle as it is starting to get old.

what I can add here, was that a month ago I used the vehicle to travel 750km for the day.
with the overtaking of a truck, I noticed that the vehicle did not rev freely through the rpm range.

it felt more that the vehicle was surging and picked up speed much slower.
in any case, we arrived safely.
it did get me to think about the lack of power. I also worried a bit!

it must be stated that the lack of power was only noticed in the upper rpm range and at a speed of about 110- 130km/h.

two weeks ago I had read up on the catalytic converter being clogged up.
mine was rattling on start up so never gave attention to it.

so I decided to get it removed and a normal pipe was installed instead of fitting a new catalytic converter.
the techie stated that one would need to drive the vehicle hard and notice the amount of black smoke on pull away.
the wife did just that and she said, she had some nice big black clouds on pull away.

since the removal, we have travelled another 1400km and the other day I took the jetta for a spin.

from pull away redlining in all gears except 5th.
found that the jetta was pulling as it had done, years prior "wife normally drives the car, so no need to pedal to the medal"

my concerns now, is looking at, what maintenance needs to be effected in order for long levity!
obviously, one cannot fix what is not broken, and that is not the intension.

a real mouth full so far.
for now this is enough and will be doing some more research on car.

Cheers from a sunny south Africa.

ps" real nice forum, nicely put together, plenty of info.

credit to all the writers.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.