New to the forum and TDI's but not VW's.

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Vdubfro, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Vdubfro

Vdubfro New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI 1996 Jetta 2.0 gasser
    Hello all. New here obviously. Buying my first TDI tomorrow. 2002 Jetta 210,000 miles. Owner says it's consuming alot of oil and needs a ring job done. I've read over a ton of info this past week and think he may be wrong about the rings. However I haven't seen or drive the car yet. I plan to do a compression check, among all the other things that seen to be common with the ALH engine. The price is definitely right. I'm afraid to post it here for fear someone may take it as me showing off. I kid, I kid. $600.00. Alot of great info on this site and I'm going to use it to my advantage.
    I also have a 96 Jetta GLS 2.0 gasser. She's been my baby for 12yrs now. Got to replace the crank seals and do a timing belt, plus new clutch. Trans is out, but the 02 is stealing my repair budget now. VW's need warning labels. "Caution this automobile may be addictive and hazardous to your bank account". Anyway glad to join the community. Great site!

-Vdubfro-
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I would reckon something else is causing the oil use, I haven't read much about the rings being an issue on the tdi "yet". Who knows, anyway I'm picking up a 2000 plate Mk4 golf estate tdi for about $300 so I don't care how cheap yours is lol :p

Mind you the one I'm getting has a snapped timing belt, doh!

welcometomyturbodies
  3. Vdubfro

Vdubfro New Member

Car:
    2002 Jetta TDI 1996 Jetta 2.0 gasser
    The current owner said I can start it up and drive it home. That's a + in my book. I'm friends with his son-in-law. When I heard the price I said "really?" his son in law said "is that high or low" I said it's perfect when can I get it? He promised to keep my "secret" safe. Lol. Good luck with your new purchase. Timing belt breakage is usually bad. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.
  4. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Nah it's fine over here, we've got plenty of spares at good prices so I'm not to bothered. I'll have to decide wether to fix it up or just rob it for bits to tune the one I've got. (My avatar) I could take all the turbo, manifold, downpipe and ecu ste and still sell it for more than I'm buying it so it's a win win for me. Yours sounds really cheap for over your side of the pond though from what I've seen on these forums. Nice one.