New To me TDI

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by Lancerpilot, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Lancerpilot

Lancerpilot New Member

Car:
    VW, Passat, 2005, TDI
    I live in Stuart, Florida but drive to Ft Lauderdale frequently. I needed a car that got great gas mileage with a nice comfortable ride. The 2005 Passat checked all the boxes. After an extensive nationwide search I found my car, extremely clean with only 88k miles.

I've owned it now for just about a week. The headliner is currently getting replaced and the trim shop found the sunroof drains to be plugged and leaking into the car so I was able to address that issue immediately. They also fixed the plastic fading around the shifter.

I recently discovered this awesome forum. I love the Passat, but this site makes me nervous. It seems there's some expensive maintenance items that require immediate attention or this 2.0 tdi's days are numbered. Not something a new owner wants to discover, but certainly better than not knowing and killing the motor.

I now plan on
    unchaining the BSM
    changing the glow plugs
    Timing belt service
    Fixing the keyless doors which only activate on the drivers side
    CV joint, car vibrates in gear, but not in neutral.
    Only came with one key do I need to add more.

Looking for any Recs to purchase and program the key fobs and any south Florida service center that knows this motor.

Thanks for all the information. This site is a goldmine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Check out the key FAQ for how to add a key. I would get 1 spare and get VCDS and a good set of tools! It can get very expensive if you don't DIY.welcometomyturbodies

3. Lancerpilot

Lancerpilot New Member

Car:
    VW, Passat, 2005, TDI
    Oh boy. I simply don't have the time for DIY, too many other projects for that. I bought this as a 4th vehicle to save money on Fuel and keep the miles off my "good cars". I'm getting the impression that this was not a wise choice. That being said, the value of these cars have increased since dieselgate and I'm averaging in the 40mpg range. These have become valued. I imagine that it's worth it in the long run once these issues are addressed. I plan on keeping this car for a while and putting a bunch of miles on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk