New to me smoking 06 BRM

Discussion in 'Mk5 VW Jetta, Sportwagen, and Audi A3 TDI forum' started by BOWZ, Apr 28, 2017.

1. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    MALONE STAGE 3, 1019 DLC, EGT BOOST, PANZER PLATE, SBC STAGE 2 DD, .658
    Hello guys, just picked up a 06BRM AT that barley revs, absolutely no power and smokes like a freight train, was told by the PO that it happened all of a sudden going down the hwy and thinks it is a bad cam. It was advertised as bad cam and with the conversation it came out some specifics (abrupt loss of power) but nothing to really go off of besides it was good and now its not. I got back after dark and was able to pull codes through VCDS, P0304 Misfire Detected CYL 4. Pulled the piping to the ASV thinking maybe it was stuck shut, no such luck, thick soot on it though. I went ahead a fired it up, WOWA was it loud, a loud popping sound and seemed to only be coming from one cyl. Going to continue my search tonight, unless something shouts out at me in my searches my plan of attack is pull turbo intake and check for end play, pull valve cover and check cam, figure out a test procedure for the electronic injectors.

[​IMG]
    the ol girl as I found it.

[​IMG]
    had to rent a U-haul dolly since my car hauler has my brothers 03 Golf TDI he picked up last weekend.

[​IMG]
    Just chug chug chug, poor engine bouncing around.

Bowz

chittychittybangbang likes this.
  2. Seatman

Seatman Well-Known Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I'd check the boost pipes, I think cam wear is more gradual.
    A boost pipe hanging off can make a loud thumping pop noise.

BOWZ, xeno555 and diesen like this.
  3. tdiforester

tdiforester New Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI with DSG
    Sounds like a cam and or timing belt with the sounds, loss of power, smoke, etc..... I'd look at the timing belt at the crank and pull the valve cover. Not that bad a job and it should tell you quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Could be multiple things going on....cam, turbo stop screw, boost hoses. Timing belt is probably OK if it's running.

5. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    Thanks for chiming in chittychittybangbang! Sorry I haven't updated this yesterday. Cam is shot, wore through #4 lifter. Turbo was locked up. Was able to pull it and as I was disassembling I found a small washer covered in oil, looks like the comp side washer but couldn't find the nut (maybe somewhere on the shop floor) have all intake piping pulled out of the car and still no nut. Snap ring is still soaking to pull the housing off/maybe wedged in the blades?

Getting ready to pull the air to air intercooler to look for the nut. Was able to borescope the inlet but didn't see the nut. My question is, could it make it through the intercooler(small enough)?

Thanks everyone else for the input!

Bowz

6. BOWZ

BOWZ Member

Car:
    2001 JETTA
    Mods:
    http://s53.photobucket.com/user/bigbossbowz/media/06 TDI/4B97A538-FEC6-4ED7-B583-F08AEA980495.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    I hate people that don't take care of there stuff! 12 years of wrenching this is the worst I've seen.

%5BURL=http://s53.photobucket.com/user/bigbossbowz/media/06 TDI/6FF8AAC6-5176-4A65-B5AF-1949DC8078D1.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    Who needs lift on a cam lobe, it didn't get this bad overnight....

%5BURL=http://s53.photobucket.com/user/bigbossbowz/media/06 TDI/048E23D3-8799-4735-AE7F-C9DFC5A9EC4B.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    Best of the bunch

%5BURL=http://s53.photobucket.com/user/bigbossbowz/media/06 TDI/2E494FF3-0D5B-4580-8449-543281D2D3A9.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    Well caption sums it up pretty good.

Debating on cutting my losses with the car. I don't want to but if I can't find that nut AND it can fit through the intercooler I might have to.

If I can't find the nut, new intercooler, pull the head, look for imbedded nut in piston. Get refaced, new HG head bolts plus everything I already know I need:
    TURBO W/gaskets
    COMPLETE CAM KIT
    TIMMING BELT KIT
    ALL STRECH BOLTS

and that's saying the DSG works, since I've never been above 5mph.

What's everyone's take? Anyone have a BRM nut you could give me dia and height?

Bowz

7. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Thanks for the pics :( Not a well taken care of car.

The nut should be caught in the intercooler or piping. The passages are too small.

BOWZ likes this.
  8. Rig

Rig Member

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
    I've been meticulous with my 2006, feeding it only the best oil, doing regular maintenance, and still the cam wore out and rubbed through the lifters. Replaced the cam and all that at 128K--used a Colt cam from Kerma. Now that the engine noise is eliminated, I hear my dual mass flywheel rattling slightly at idle in Neutral and Park, amplifying the diesel-engine rhythms; still fairly smooth in Drive, but I think I might be feeling a little too much lag time and sloppiness with the DSG shifting. Could be my imagination.