new tdi owner purchased from wrecker / junk yard

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by markwd1, Apr 13, 2017.

1. markwd1

markwd1 New Member

Car:
    2006 vw jetta tdi
    hello all I recently purchased a 2006 vw jetta tdi from the junk yard. it had a valve drop in the #2 cylinder due to worn cam / lifters had holes in a few of them w/ a piece of the valve sticking out of the head. surprisingly the cylinder wall only had two slight nicks in it so I got a new / used piston and rod, and a new / used head w/ cam and valves that fit right on my block. there is one difference. the openings on the head for the intake are the split type openings (vertical piece of metal in each opening) my original head doesn't have these and my intake manifold isn't a split opening. I know I am close to top dead center because I had cylinders 1 & 4 up when putting the head on, and the head was at top dead center. I cranked the engine by hand probably fourteen times and never felt any resistance of valve / piston contact I am waiting on the timing tool to be shipped now because I tried to start it and it cranked fine w/ no noticeable clicking but wouldn't start. is the head / cam compatible with my block? any info would be appreciated thanks.

2. Vwman2015

Vwman2015 Member

Car:
    Vw golf, mk5 2005 sdi, bkd engine
    Golden rule is to use the same parts on the engine as it left the factory with otherwise your gonna see some problems.

Ideally you want the same part number head that fits your engine code.

You mentioned that you tried to start the engine with no luck, but was the other components fitted back to the engine etc etc??

Do you have engine codes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. crsmp5

crsmp5 Well-Known Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    sounds like a bew head (2004).. the split is for the egr.. no idea if you can do that.. but it only requires a drill bit for the cam lock.. crank lock is nice.. but its got a line/pointer... so not needed as ya can fudge it via lining up pointer

does the intank fuel pump run pushing fuel to the tandom pump?? no fuel.. no fire..

4. markwd1

markwd1 New Member

Car:
    2006 vw jetta tdi
    sorry it took a min I was out of town yeah the pump is pushing fuel I even took off return line to check for prime / air in line thanks for the reply and yeah vwman the part number of the head was exactly the same except the last letter one was an "r" and the other was an "a" I believe I asked that question from the one I purchased from and he said it was ok. the holes and everything matched right up with my block.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017