1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

New RCD-510 version 3 'rolling change'?

Discussion in '2012-2015 VW Passat TDI forum' started by Taglioni900, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Taglioni900

Taglioni900 New Member

Car:
    1998 Accord
    I'm interested in whether anyone has seen the TDI SE base model (6M w/o sunroof) with the new RCD-510 (Premium VIII?) radio? I believe one of the differences is that the middle button on the right side says 'Phone' instead of 'Mute'. My hope is that VW has included the MDI module as part of the 'rolling change' upgrade.
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    MDI module is a separate physical component from the radio. Yes, there was a rolling change to include the phone function into the stock radio. I haven't seen it myself yet though, all the ones I've seen have been SEL w/RNS 510.
  3. Taglioni900

Taglioni900 New Member

Car:
    1998 Accord
    It just strikes me as short-sighted of VW to skimp on the kind of universal connectivity that has become an expectation in even cheaper cars. Maybe I can understand leaving it out of their $19,995 strpped package (with the RCD-310?), but the $6000 upgrade to the TDI should get me a fully functional RCD-510, especially when stuff like iTunes Tagging is part of the RCD-510's new features. The MDI module is only a couple hundred dollars retail for a glorified adapter cable, but it's major interior work to install. Let the factory streamline the options down to 15 models, but let the option packages be the head units, not the wiring looms. Easier build, easier software and aftermarket upgrades. Heck, I might even spring for a Fender system if I could get it with a manual TDI.
  4. Marty790

Marty790 New Member

Car:
    Passat TDI Highline, Sport group
    I've seen some passat that arrived in the dealers in febuary with the phone button instead of the mute button. They've all been built since middle january, so the rolling change is done!
  5. Nonstandard

Nonstandard New Member

Car:
    2012 Passat TDI SE w/sunroof
    My TDI-SE with sunroof (early Nov 2011 production) has the radio described above as the "rolling update." Our phones work very well with it. After pushing 1 button on the steering wheel to activate voice control, I can tell the system to "call Joe Blow (or any other name in my phonebook)". The system verifies what I said ("Do you want me to dial Joe Blow?"), then it dials the correct number. Works like a charm. When a call comes in, a press of another button on the steering wheel has me talking with both hands on the steering wheel. If music from a digital source such as a CD or an iPod was playing when a call is made or received, it is paused during the call, then resumed when the call is ended, right where it was when paused (radio is muted but not paused). The RCD-510 also receives HD radio broadcasts, which are much better quality than traditional, and satellite radio if you want to pay for it. The only "issue" I have with the North American version of the RCD-510 is the lack of the 26-pin plug that allows a backup camera image to be displayed on the screen, a feature that is available in Europe. Other than the allowing video input into a very nice touch-screen monitor, and perhaps an amp and better speakers, I don't know how the system could be made much nicer.
  6. Taglioni900

Taglioni900 New Member

Car:
    1998 Accord
    I assume that 'nonstandard' is getting that functionality using the Bluetooth connection and that it still doesn't have an actual iPhone connection in the center console (not the 3.5mm aux plug).

Incidentally, while the backup camera isn't an option, you can get the parking sensors installed by the dealer which display on the radio:

2012 PASSAT Park distance control part # 3C0-054-630
  7. schumi

schumi New Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    Rcd-510

Will the RCD-510 unit work in my '06 TDI, Pkg.2 w/Nav. the same way the RNS-510 did for you?
  8. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI