1. Welcome to myturbodiesel.com, if this is your first visit, please read 1000 answered questions - TDI FAQ, DIY, and Wiki by clicking the link here or in the navigation bar above. Click the "Sign up Now" button to the right to create an account, registration is fast and free.
  2. After you create a free account, every subforum has reply boxes. Here is a thread showing how to create an account or post a new question, shown with pictures

New MK6 Key Fob?

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by bigslimm, Apr 17, 2011.

1. bigslimm

bigslimm New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2011
    Mods:
    Bone stock... but working on that...
    Reading the keyless entry faq. Thinking about getting an extra key, and generally curious about VW keyless design and immobiliation. Anyway looks like my 2011 has a different fob than what is shown in the faq for MK5/6. My fob looks the same at first glance, but does not pull apart into separate pieces. It is not laterally split, but is split lenthwise. There is a separate cover for the battery. I attempted gingerly to disassemble the fob further but it was not cooperative, so I let it be; lest I do something unadvised.

My build is 2/11. So is there a new fob design? If so, any details on getting inside?
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Yes, it's a little bit different. No, but feel free to take pictures to show what you're talking about. I haven't had a change to take one apart yet. I haven't taken apart a kessy key either.
  3. bigslimm

bigslimm New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2011
    Mods:
  4. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I referred to the parts manual, it shows the new key as 1 piece with what I believe to be a replacement VW symbol.

My best guess is that it splits lengthwise, otherwise there might be a small screw underneath the VW symbol as with past keys. Here's a pic of the new mk6 style Golf-Jetta key apart.

If you split it, can you take some more pictures of what's inside?

Attached Files:

5. bigslimm

bigslimm New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2011
    Mods:
    Trying to remove the emblem to find a screw. But the emblem does NOT want to come off. Scratcing it up good trying. How easy was it for the other ones you mention? Also took the battery out - no screw there.
  6. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    For the ones that split in half, you really have to pull hard. I also use a screwdriver to pry it at the split.

I haven't split a mk6 key and did some searching on various sites, I haven't found anyone who has.

Also, the picture that I found could just be the front and back of the key instead of showing how it's split.

When splitting the top half of the earlier keys, I used an exacto knife to get under the emblem because they are glued in. It might be molded in in your case or removable. Not sure, but it looks like they sell replacement emblems in the parts catalog which makes me think that it comes off.
  7. Aseras

Aseras New Member

Car:
    2010 Sportwagen TDI
    If you look in this pic, [​IMG]
    you see the little tab in the middle, away from the button side? Press there and it will open, even with your finger.
  8. bigslimm

bigslimm New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2011
    Mods:
    Aseras, That tab is for the battery cover, per my pic above. Yes battery cover comes off rather easy; but that is it.

Chitty, So you think I should take a chance and destroy the emblem since its possible to replace?
  9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I'm 80% sure that the VW emblem is replaceable. If so, you'd be the first to take it off as far as I know.

Here's what I see in the parts catalog, it's not to scale and I don't see where else this VW symbol would go so I'm pretty sure that it's the part. You could order one from the dealer first and if it's correct, destroy the emblem to get it off. If it's not correct you could return it.

The "as required use AMV...." note next to the part number means that you also have to use some kind of VW fluid, my guess without knowing that part number is that it's a glue to hold the button in place.

The wholesale dealer price for the button is $2.30.

Attached Files:

10. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    They do sell the VW badge for the key on eBay.
  11. bigslimm

bigslimm New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2011
    Mods:
    Ok. Went for it. Trashed/removed the emblem and voila... Nothing.:dunno
    You notice the emblem surface itself is separate. Tried removing that but it was not cooperative.

Plot thickens...
    000_0715.jpg
  12. ZoomALH

ZoomALH New Member

I see a line lengthwise along the key. But maybe it's glued or molded together and can't be split open?
  13. Marc_TDI

Marc_TDI New Member

Car:
    2010 Jetta TDI
    Thanks great tip for repalcing the battery.
    I wrestled with it and couldn't open it because of arthritis in my hands
    the tab thing makes it easy.
    I have seen VW emblems for the key fob on Ebay, fobs too.
  14. bigslimm

bigslimm New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2011
    Mods:
    Yeah may be so. But why would VW suddenly make the darn thing impossible to disassemble?
  15. Aseras

Aseras New Member

Car:
    2010 Sportwagen TDI
    Popped mine open. On the side where the panic button is there are two indentations beside the panic button. Using a small flathead screwdriver and a plastic seperating tool on the middle tab opens it right up.
  16. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Do you have large pics showing the insides? I can add it to the FAQ since this is new.
  17. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
  18. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    That video just shows how to remove the battery in an older key. He's talking about splitting the key case open to look at the insides.

The new keys are different, the old keys could just be pulled in half lengthwise. Keith, your key should also be the new 2010 type key which has no split there.
  19. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Marc_TDI was saying a great tip for replacing the battery.

My key has a split as shown in the video.
    As I said there are loads of videos on YouTube do a search.
  20. bigslimm

bigslimm New Member

Car:
    VW Golf 2011
    Mods:
    Yes - Pics please. I see those indentations, but man, its not yielding for me. Feels like the plastic is going to shatter first.