New Member needs some help

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by AZ Mike, Feb 20, 2012.

1. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    Hi all, I have a 97 Jetta TDI with manual trans has 195000mi it was well taken care of found a lot of reciepts in the glove box and it was a 1 owner going by the carfax. :panic: I just purchased the car and about 15 miles later the CEL came on and I've been trying to figure out what's going on. When I test drove the car I thought there was a turbo issue because I did have a 2000 automatic back a few years ago and it just seemed under powered. Further down the road going uphill it would drop to 30MPH then on the flat 70 was about tops. I got to the autozone they scanned it and came up with the P0380 and P1550. I came on here and looked into it and took out the computer and replaced the vac line in there and checked to see if the wastegate was working and all was good. Found a crack in the intake hose and was so happy thinking all would be great but it's the same. I have an old scanner not the vag-com it came up with codes of P1252 and the 380 again and pending codes of P0605 and P1144. Then a few days later I changed the fuel filter and well it's all still the same. I just ordered a timing belt kit and a harmonic balancer because it does have the bad belt squeel. I have not taken the valve cover off to check the timing of all three places (cam, pump, trans/crank) so that's what I'm doing tomorrow. Any other things I need to look for before getting really frustrated with this thing? N75?? timing off? Thanks to everyone and I'll let you all know what I do and what works.
    login to remove this ad
  2. crsmp5

crsmp5 Member

Car:
    85 kubvan
    intake plugged up with goo?? that will make it under power.. look thru the receipts for when that was cleaned last...

stealerships in my area tends to tell customers its a bad turbo... when its not..
  3. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    clean

without taking it off I'm not sure what the bottom looks like but the top looks like new. Everything is really clean like it was just rebuilt on the top. the egr system is totally clean and the IP looks new but the trans and bottom end are clean but not near as clean as the top. Thanks and that was my next item. Don't think it should take long to yank it off and do a look see.
  4. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    timing?

I think the timing was off. The intake is almost spotless. With the crank at TDC the #1 cam lobes are making a V in the down position. Do I turn the cam or the crank? I don't want to bend valves and the rotation is always clockwise right? Thanks to all
  5. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    here we go again.

Ok I've been tinkering again. After the last eppisode it won't start again. Took off exhaust and looked at the turbo. Its dirty but spins. Took off intake and it's totally clean. Started thinking if the timing was off and if I turned the IP it would be good. Well not so lucky, after turning it 180 a few times after setting the crank/cam timing and puting a bolt through the smaller hole on the IP and the plate still won't fire. Now I loosened the #1 inj. and spun the IP clockwise and nothing came out. So I took the T fitting off the filter and didn't see fuel so i put some fuel in it but before I say it's the IP I'm going to check the tank pickup assembly. I need to get a vaccume pump to check it don't know wehere to get one but I'll find one. In the 97 Jetta is the picku-up assembly in the tank accessable from the trunk or back seat or do I have to drop a full tank to get to it? Thanks everyone and I'll keep you all informed. :bangshead:
  6. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Turn at the crank. This is because this is where the engine is normally turned from. Turning from cam can stress tensioner since you're pulling on the "loose" side of the belt. cams aren't at TDC because crank turns 2x for every 1x cam, try again.

I seem to remember seeing an access plate for the fuel pickup.
  7. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    update

I found the access plate behind rear seat in the trunk on the pass side. pickup was clean so I'm starting to think it's the IP. :( What do you think. Got the timing belt kit and new harmonic balancer so I'm going to put all that on once I find out if the IP is bad. will the IP pump fuel when turning by hand? Thanks
  8. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    more info

Just got a vacc. pump fuel flows really fast through the filter and then I went to the t fitting. before the filter after IP came out slow but then I turned the IP sprocket and it didn't make any difference should it get pulled through the same as if it was not being turned over?
  9. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    No. The fuel shutoff solenoid is closed too.
  10. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    Injecton Pump

So for the IP to give fuel the key has to be in the on position? How do I tell when #1 is getting fuel to set the pump in the right place if it needs to be turned over? Is it just a 2 person job no matter what?
  11. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    ??

If I turn the key to the on possition and turn the injection pump by hand (socket wrench) and have injector #1 fitting loose should it spit fuel out if the fuel shutoff solenoid is working? Any ideas? Thanks.
  12. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I think the P1550 is really the low power problem and not the fuel myself

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17958/P1550/005456

The other code P1144 could be chaffed wires going to the maf apparently from what I can find. I don't think it's your timing either as that would only take the edge off and not completely kill the power. Your first post suggests no boost at all like proper permanent limp mode. There was a guy on here a while back with permanent power loss like yourself and it took him forever to find the problem but it turned out to be the egr leaking boost, he replaced it and the car ran perfect. If there's any chance you could borrow one it might be worth a shot.
  13. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    thank you

I will try the egr once I get it started again. I don't know about the IP now. I'm going to see if the fuel shutoff solenoid is working and go from there.:ugh
  14. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    If the car is starting fine and running smooth all the way I wouldn't suspect the pump myself.
  15. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    not starting at all

:bangsheadNot starting now. Can the fuel shut off valve still click and be bad? I'm gonna try the vac pump with key on and see if it pulls more than a little drip if the key is on I would assume it will flow more than a drip. This thing has me stumped! :bangshead: I'm going to do the timing belt and harmonic balancer sunday and put it all back together and see what happens. :confused:
  16. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    wont start

Well I changed the tb and have it set dead on and it still wont run. Now I get a little white/greayish smoke from exhaust but it doesn't even fire or pop. Anyone have any ideas? Bad relay or ecm? :annoyed: Oh there is a toggle switch on the dash next to the lights it is a 3 wire switch one is connected to the ground one is spliced into a green with brown stripe i think that is behind the #11 relay position and then one to the red wire that is on the relay hanging with the # 180 on it. Any ideas on if that is the cause or what it is for?

Thanks guys.
  17. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    bump

Hello?? any Ideas?? bad IP? anyone?
  18. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 16989
    EOBD II Error Code: P0605

Fault Location:
    Engine control module (ECM) - ROM error

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) ON.

Engine control module (ECM) faulty.
    Internal Fault in Control Module/Processor.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Engine control module (ECM).

Special Notes:
    Fault Codes like this can usually not be repaired since they are stored after the Control Module did not pass it's internal Self Test. Even though the official Repair Manuals suggest replacing the Control Module in such a case, there may be specialized Companies repairing Modules like this.

VAG Error Code: 16764
    EOBD II Error Code: P0380

Fault Location:
    Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) - Circuit malfunction

Possible Cause:
    No Pre-Glow Period.
    Poor Cold Starting.

Wiring.
    Glow plug relay (J52).
    Fuse.
    Glow plugs.
    Engine control module (ECM).

Possible Solutions:
    Check Glow Plug Wiring.
    Check Glow Plug(s).

Special Notes:
    See TDIClub Glow Plug 101

VAG Error Code: 17958
    EOBD II Error Code: P1550

Fault Location:
    Boost Pressure Control Valve (N75) - Control difference

Possible Cause:
    Irregular behaviour.
    Reduced power output.
    Limp mode.

Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking.
    Charger Pressure Control defective.
    Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective.Turbocharger (TC) defective.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components.
    Check Charge Pressure Control.
    Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75).
    Check Turbocharger (TC).

VAG Error Code: 17660
    EOBD II Error Code: P1252

Fault Location:
    Fuel injection timing solenoid - Open circuit/short to earth

Possible Cause:
    Wiring open circuit/short to earth.
    Fuel injection timing solenoid.

VAG Error Code: 16989
    EOBD II Error Code: P0605

Fault Location:
    Engine control module (ECM) - ROM error

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) ON.

Engine control module (ECM) faulty.
    Internal Fault in Control Module/Processor.

Possible Solutions:
    Check/Replace Engine control module (ECM).

Special Notes:
    Fault Codes like this can usually not be repaired since they are stored after the Control Module did not pass it's internal Self Test. Even though the official Repair Manuals suggest replacing the Control Module in such a case, there may be specialized Companies repairing Modules like this.

VAG Error Code: 17552
    EOBD II Error Code: P1144

Fault Location:
    Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70), bank 1 - Open circuit/short to earth

Possible Cause:
    Wiring open circuit/short to earth.
    Mass air flow (MAF) sensor (G70).

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/
  19. AZ Mike

AZ Mike New Member

Car:
    97 Jetta TDI
    update ???

I moved the timing belt a few times and I guess it was a tooth off on the IP. Hey I purchased a VAG-COM. Have not done much with it yet. Says N75 bad and the glow plug light was flashing a few times. Now I need to get it warm and check the timing. While it was coolish (160*) the graph showed just above the blue line. I'm getting excited to play! I think I have a bad or going bad #3 injector I'm going to get a full set with 502 tips what do you all think?
  20. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    ...that would do it, check it again just to be sure! bigger injectors are good but if #3 inj sensor isn't good tips won't help