new member from Texas

Discussion in 'New TDI forum member introductions' started by fatdad54, Jun 13, 2012.

1. fatdad54

fatdad54 New Member

Car:
    VW Beetle GLS TDI 1999
    Mods:
    Stock
    Hello TDI owners!
    Many years of diesel engines experiance,8 years owning a 99 Beetle TDI and 2004 Jetti TDI.
    Both of these cars are at or over 200000 miles and have just in the last week both broke down,the Jetta"s turbo filled the intercooler with engine oil and the Beetle"s clutch gave it up,my question is should I repair these cars or get rid of them.They have both been pretty much trouble free till now.
    login to remove this ad
  2. YMZ

YMZ Super Moderator

Car:
    Jetta 2003, Golf 2001
    Latitude 44.407959, longitude -76.018369.
    welcometomyturbodies Welcome to the website!

It never rains, but it pours... eh?

First question: will you be doing the repairs yourself, do you have access to a TDI-expert mechanic who's fairly reasonable in his charges, or will you be going to an old-time VW shop or dealership?

Considerations: The 2004 will not only need a new turbo (not easy to find a good used one for that vintage - and this is assuming the engine didn't "run-on" on the oil in the intercooler and got hydro-locked), but given that they have camshafts that are known to wear - meaning that you'll also need to get a new camshaft, but lifters as well... I'm also assuming it now also needs a timing belt... Still, if you're doing the work yourself or have an affordable expert mechanic, it's still a nice car!

The New Beetle: a new clutch kit (G60/VR6 single-mass design is preferred) isn't that expensive, and shouldn't cost that much to install. However, if you're doing the work yourself, the cable adjustment on those DQY transmissions is rather tricky.

Please update your profile to better indicate your location... (Texas is a fairly large state, as I recall...) There may be someone local that we may (or may not) be able to recommend to help you out.

All the best,

Yuri