New Golf owner with turbo issues

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by martin8, May 1, 2012.

1. martin8

martin8 New Member

Car:
    2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 90
    Hi
    I've recently bought a 1.9 TDI Golf and found this excellent site while researching the problems with it. I managed to fix a stuck relay in the CCM easily enough, but limp mode caused by the turbo is proving to be a bit more difficult as I'm not really mechanically minded :panic:

I've got the following error code from VCDS :
    17965 - Charge Pressure Control: Positive Deviation
    P1557-35-10 Intermittent

I've also logged the MAP and N75 with VCDS which hopefully illustrates the issue :
    [​IMG]

Basically, if I rev over 3000rpm (ish) in any gear, then the turbo overboosts by 200% ish and then limp mode kicks in.

I've managed to persuade the mechanic who does my services to try a Mr Muscle clean on the turbo with the hope that the fault is just stuck VNT vanes..

Would never have worked any of this out without forums like this one :thumbsup
    login to remove this ad
  2. dasonjmac86

dasonjmac86 New Member

Car:
    Golf TDI 2000
  3. martin8

martin8 New Member

Car:
    2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 90
    Thanks for the link, I'll check out the video's when I'm not at work. I'm going to call my mechanic today to find out if the turbo clean he agreed to do has worked.. (if he got round to doing it) :D
  4. martin8

martin8 New Member

Car:
    2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 90
    Mods, please could you move this to the Mk4 forum?

Thanks
  5. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    Welcome to the forum. welcometomyturbodies

VAG Error Code: 17965
    EOBD II Error Code: P1557

Fault Location:
    Charge Pressure Control - Positive deviation

Possible Causes:
    Reduced power output.
    Limp mode.

Boost Pressure too High.
    Hoses/Pipes incorrectly connected, disconnected, blocked or leaking.
    Charger Pressure Control defective.
    Variable Nozzle Turbo (VNT) nozzles stuck.
    Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75) defective.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components.
    Check Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75).
    Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control.
    Check / Clean mechanism for variable nozzles.

As taken from my http://www.myturbodiesel.com/forum/f9/free-eobd-ii-error-codes-software-2919/
  6. martin8

martin8 New Member

Car:
    2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 90
    Thanks Keith, VCDS give me roughly the same diagnosis. My mechanic has finished doing a chemical clean of the turbo (mr muscle) and says it doesn't go into limp mode but still seems low on power.
    He's going to do a vacuum test and check the EGR/Intake manifold this afternoon to see how badly they're coked up. It's on 86k miles and the previous owner said he mostly just drove a couple of miles a day in it, so I have a feeling the intake is going to be fairly restricted.
    I'll keep the post updated on how it goes. I bought the golf to replace my bmw 328i which was costing too much in fuel. Hopefully the garage bill won't be too high :panic:
  7. martin8

martin8 New Member

Car:
    2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 90
    Mechanic mr muscled the turbo, cleaned the intake/egr and found a split vacuum hose which he's now replaced. Car is running much better but need to log it before I know for certain. Fingers crossed :)
  8. martin8

martin8 New Member

Car:
    2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 90
    Well, good news, turbo seems to be working properly again. Got the car back from the mechanic, was driving it to work and got limp mode. So got annoyed, turned car off and back on and floored it which seems to have unstuck the turbo :nana2:

Took the car out the next day and logged it with VCDS and the actual and reported MAP values are within a percent or two and no more limp mode :) Time to keep the revs high to stop the turbo coking up again...

Thanks to this forum for pointing me in the right direction otherwise the stealers would've had me.
  9. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    Mr Muscle, where would we be without it lol, I take it yours is the ALH engine? Get it up to 4500 once in a while, that should keep it a bit cleaner, I don't think it'll go much further than that lol
  10. martin8

martin8 New Member

Car:
    2001 Golf 1.9 TDI 90
    Aye glad I found the mr muscle trick, but tbh I think the split vacuum hose that was replaced was more likely the culprit. Either way the turbo's working fine and I can overtake again. :)