New Beetle new member

Discussion in 'VW Mk3 Jetta, Passat TDI and other/older diesels' started by b1dude, Aug 13, 2012.

1. b1dude

b1dude New Member

Car:
    1998/2011
    Really like my new/old beetle. It's at 120K miles and I don't want to trust the timing belt has ever been done.

Here I go...

Couple of questions....

Jacking the engine vs using an engine bay brace:
    - With a hydraulic jack and/or jack stand supporting the engine does the jack present any access issues with needing to be under the car? The cross brace obviously cleans up the under side of the car so you can move around.
    - The cross brace looks like something that could be made out of a couple of 2x4's and hardware. Has anyone tried making their own?

Thanks for the inputs on this. Love this car....love it even more as fuel prices continue to go crazy (40mpg on last three tanks). The more I drive the car the more I like it..... I'll freak if I ruin the car before I get this belt replaced.

Again thanks!

b1dude
    login to remove this ad
  2. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Moving to mk4 section, NB is mk4 platform.

A jack stand isn't safe because the mass is hanging above it and can shift. With an engine support the mass is hanging down and once hanging in a secure position, will want to stay in that position. Also, a hydraulic jack should never be the primary support. They can leak/fail. Not worth crushing your hand or getting crushed.

You can make your own, check out the mk5 TB DIY article for a pic, just make sure it's secure and safe. Don't drill out the main beam because it'll weaken the wood unless you double up the wood. A DIY support made from solid 2x4 can easily support the weight of one side of the engine but plans are up to you...and of course, when you signed up to the forum you agreed to the legal disclaimer :D