New 2016 VW Passat revealed, pics and specs

Discussion in '2012-2016 VW Passat TDI forum' started by chittychittybangbang, Sep 21, 2015.

1. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    And now for some good news...the new Passat TDI was just released an hour ago. Cosmetic changes to the front and rear, LED headlights and taillights optional (finally), and a new infotainment system.
    The license plate area is now flush instead of recessed. There's also a chrome strip running along the middle of the trunk into the taillights.

The R-line trim gets you rocker panels, different front and rear bumper, and 19" wheels with 235/40 tires. Below are pics of the regular and R-line bumper.

The new infotainment system is called the MIB II, see pics below. MIB stands for modular infotainment platform. Pretend that it's a B instead of P. It now uses a capacitive touch screen instead of pressure touch screen like the current unit, and proximity sensor. You can see my youtube channel for a similar unit in the Golf. It has VW's app-connect which adds Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink. compatibility.

Heated rear seats are an option, as is the rear trunk easy open feature. With the car unlocked, you wave your foot under the trunk area and the trunk pops open. This is useful if your hands are occupied.

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC); Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking (Front Assist); Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert; Lane Departure Warning (Lane Assist), which actively steers the car back into its lane; and Parking Steering Assistant (Park Assist) are all optional features as well.

2016-passat-001-1.jpg 2016-passat-006-1.jpg 2016-passat-009-1.jpg 2016-passat-010-1.jpg 2016-passat-012-1.jpg 2016-passat-013-1.jpg 2016-passat-014-1.jpg 2016-passat-016-1.jpg

Bcrittenden and JazzBeBop like this.
  2. CPJ

CPJ Member

Car:
    2015 Volkswagon Passat TDI SEL
    @chittychittybangbang, with the emissions scandal, do you see a delay in the release of the new 2016 models?

3. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    No, not the gas models.

The funny thing is that VW USA CEO Horn was at the premiere last week....I wasn't invited (I've tried but they don't care about forums) and reports said it was pretty empty and awkward. Especially when they brought out the 2016 Passat TDI, lol...Horn apologized (I really don't see how he holds any responsibility unless he was involved) and the brought out the cars, typical car reveal stuff.

CPJ likes this.
  4. Almir&

Almir& Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SE
  5. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    '12 Golf TDI sold to VW 2/8/17
    OMG that's harsh and somehow hilariously satisfying all at once!

CPJ likes this.
  6. Almir&

Almir& Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SE
    I bet once they fix the dieselgate deal, these will sell as well as every other VW.... meaning.... Subaru will be beating them out once again.
    Disclaimer: I have two VW's parked in my driveway.

7. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    VW sold more than 10 million cars worldwide in 2014; Subaru sold just over 800,000...

8. chittychittybangbang

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    FYI VW and Subaru have about the same sales volume in the US.

9. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    True; US has always been VW's Unicorn... ;)

10. Almir&

Almir& Member

Car:
    2013 Passat TDI SE
    Well I'm talking US sales, and compare how big the two companies are....volume sale is much higher for Subaru than VW.

11. PCTDI

PCTDI New Member

Car:
    Passat SE TDI 6M 2013
    Great looking car but who wants one from a soon to be bankrupt manufacturer? I am finished with these guys.

12. DubFamily

DubFamily Active Member

Car:
    2014 BMW 328D xDrive
    Mods:
    They are far from Bankrupt; and doubtful they will ever hit that point. Rage knee-jerk reactions are no better than their "cheat" was. Everyone loved their car for the power and economy right up until it was a "cheat"; now the car is suddenly different? Sorry; nope.

Thomas Adamo likes this.
  13. 2ndPassat

2ndPassat Member

Car:
    Passat TDI SEL Prem. 2012
    My first time seeing a 2016 Passat was in a dealer showroom. The base model, black with black interior. It looked cheap. The seats in particular, not firm, cheap cloth seats that felt like the fabric would wear out in a year or two with no seat back pockets. There was no AC/Heat vents to the rear seats either. The constantly exposed cup holders, the cheap looking base level wheels and tires, the small screen on the radio system that looked like it was slapped into the dash. To have a model on the showroom floor that cries "cheap" and of course a salesman that wouldn't know a Kia from a Mercedes talking to me about the car... very off-putting . Consider that I purchased a 2012 Passat TDI SEL at just over $33K and that showroom 2016 Passat with the underpowered gasoline 4 cylinder being priced at just over $23K. Makes me glad we have a 2012 top of the line model, where it looks, feels and drives great. It has a good build feel, really nice interior/seats and we always seem to get compliments on it. A car that has proven itself over 40K miles as "a good one". To see that 2016 in the showroom.... it's like VW has given up on it.

14. lwt42

lwt42 Well-Known Member

Car:
    2017 Subaru Outback
    How does the base 2016 compare to (for example) the base 2013 model, I wonder. I didn't look at any of the gas models, and I wanted in-dash navigation.

There is only one thing that would get me out of my SEL, and that's a Passat TDI with all-wheel drive.
    I have one of each -- her car is a 2015 Forester.

I get to drive it if I'm going down the mountain on a snowy day.

15. jhinsc

jhinsc Active Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
    Mods:
    LED's for DRL's, front turn signals, tail and brake lights.
    I recall seeing a base 2014 Passat S last year, and versus the new 2016 Passat S, the 2016 is much nicer. The cloth seats are not the crappy velour type material anymore, but something that looks a bit more durable, and there are standard alloy wheels and exterior chrome trim now too. Now compared to my 2014 SEL Premium, I wouldn't trade for it. But the SE w/tech and lighting packages seems tempting, even with the V-Tex seats and no memory seats. Not sure if I would miss the leather since my 2014 has the combo leather/cloth inserts, but I would miss the memory settings.

16. Cholmes100

Cholmes100 New Member

Car:
    2014 Passat TDI Highline
    Mods:
    "Bluemotion" badging - Euro Rocker Panel effects - Rear Window lip - Blue instrument cluster needles - Audi wheels
    I don't think a Subaru is any where near a Passat, or any other VW for that matter. I have worked on plenty of cars in my lifetime and while they all have issues the Subaru is never been all that impressive. Lots of engine and trans problems in those things. I don't think anybody ever came up to me and said "wow, nice car" I have had plenty say that about my Passats. Just sayin'