Need Help with P0016 Incorrect Correlation

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by 300K Club, Aug 13, 2014.

1. 300K Club

300K Club New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    Recently got a little ambitious and did my first Timing Belt replacement on my new (110,000 miles) 2011 Jetta TDI. I used all the correct parts and special tools and thought everything worked out ok. I drove the car for about 5 miles and all appeared to have worked out according to plan. That was until I went back later in the day to start the car--- it wouldn't. Vag Com turned up P0016 (Incorrect Correlation). I am thinking perhaps something is off on my TB replacement. Anyone have any advice on what to troubleshoot at this point. Fortunately, the car is not my daily driver so it will be parked for now. Any insight is appreciated.

2. Keithuk

Keithuk Super Moderator

Car:
    2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB
    VAG Error Code: 16400

EOBD II Error Code: P0016

Fault Location:
    Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40) Bank 1/Engine Speed Sensor (G28) - Incorrect Correlation

Possible Cause:
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)(K83) active.

Timing Issue.
    Camshaft Adjuster.
    Dirty engine oil.
    Timing belt jumped.

Possible Solutions:
    Check Setting of Timing Belt.
    Check Timing of Intake/Exhaust Cams.
    Check Cam Adjusters as per Repair Manual.

Special Notes:
    When found in 2009 Audi A4, A5 or Q5 with 3.2 FSI AVE Engines, please see TSB 15-09-04.
    On engines with chain driven intake camshaft(s), but belt driven exhaust camshaft(s), verify the number of chain roller links between the intake and exhaust camshafts is correct.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/File:Cam_timing_chains.gif

As taken from my Free EOBD II Error Codes software

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    I haven't seen this code yet but I have a feeling we will because these cars are relatively new and starting to have a lot of belts done now. It's possible something on the timing belt is off so the cam sensor is seeing the camshaft timing is incorrect. Or it's possible the sensor died for whatever reason. As Keithuk mentioned in his reply, it should be a timing issue.

Put the engine back to TDC and see if the timing marks are still on. Remember that the HPFP only has to be about right. The camshaft must be right. Since you don't want to remove the crankshaft pulley (more work) you can feel for TDC using the flywheel or through a glow plug hole and a dial gauge.

4. 300K Club

300K Club New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    OK. So, I'll take everything apart again and recheck the timing as you suggest, Chitty. If it all appears to be timed correctly, then do I assume the sensor is bad, and if so, is there any way to test it before I remove it? Also, what if any, conclusion can I draw from the fact that the engine "sounded" good after the belt was replaced and I was able to drive a few miles? What I'm asking is do these two facts offer any information as to whether I may have a big problem or a simpler problem? Chitty, I used your How-To and found it to be complete even for a novice like myself. So whatever damage I may have brought upon myself can hopefully be identified in short order. I won't be able to look at it again until next week, but I'll advise on my findings.

5. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Don't assume the worst until you see the worst ;)

Disconnect the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40) electrical harness connector.

Switch the ignition on.

Using a multimeter, Check the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40) electrical harness connector terminals 1 to 3 for voltage.

Specified value: near 5.0 V

Using a multimeter, Check the Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor (G40) electrical harness connector terminals 2 to 3 for voltage.

Specified value: near 4.90 V

Switch the ignition off.

If any specified values were Not obtained:

Check wiring

6. 300K Club

300K Club New Member

Car:
    2011 Jetta TDI
    Issue resolved!! Well it turns out that after double checking and triple checking the timing belt, it was still off 1/2 tooth. Apparently this was enough to cause the computer to prevent the car from starting. The mechanic who looked at the car said if it was another car, the sensor may not have picked up the 1/2 tooth and it might have driven another 110K without a problem. Thanks to those offering suggestions.

chittychittybangbang likes this.
  7. DSerg

DSerg New Member

Car:
    2011 vw jetta wagon 2.0l TDI
    I've had issues with this code p0016 timing belt jumped a few teeth. Replaced with new belt and set timing and car wont start . Now i have p0016 code. The weird thing is when I set timing and check compression I get around 250 psi. But engine wont start . Then I advance the timing a little and I get 340 psi compression but still get p0016 crank / cam correlation code. Engine won't start. Any ideas ? It's a 2011 jetta 2.0l tdi