Need help finding coolant leak

Discussion in 'VW Mk4 Jetta, Golf, New Beetle, Passat TDI forum' started by &baconstrips, Mar 26, 2011.

1. &baconstrips

&baconstrips New Member

Car:
    2005 passat tdi
    My 2005 Passat tdi has started leaking coolant and I need help figuring out where it is coming from. I just recently had the oil pump, water pump and timing belt replaced, so I don't think it is the pump. I took of the splash plate off under the car and started it. The leak is dripping down on the passenger side by the transmission. About a couple of weeks ago I started hearing something spraying as I started driving the car. I thought it might have been grease from a CV joint and was going to have that looked at, but I did not find any splatter. The noise has continued and now I think it is from the coolant leak. The leak has gotten to the point where I won't drive it until I can fix it. Has any one had similar problems or know of a fix? Thanks
    login to remove this ad
  2. Seatman

Seatman Active Member

Car:
    2000 Mk4 Golf Estate 1.9tdi 174 bhp
    Mods:
    PP764's, turbo and mapping
    I don't know if there's a common point on the passat to look at but I would check all the hoses where the clips are in case one has rubbed through, you might also see some sort of stain where the coolant's been leaking, sorry I can't be more helpful but I'm sure others will know something.:)

welcometomyturbodies
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    Try the heater hoses. Remove the engine cover (3x 10mm nuts) and look for white spray or pink residue. Worst case, pressure test the coolant tank and it should help reveal any leaks.

Also, post moved to mk4 section since this is a specific question vs. just an intro.
    welcometomyturbodies
  4. forexjunkmailgoeshere

forexjunkmailgoeshere New Member

Car:
    many
    Could there be a similar coolant flange problem that happens with the Jetta here? That seems to be a regular problem. I'm not as familiar with the Passat, though.