VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze Diesel forum banner

Need a little help getting my 04 TDI running on all 4 cylinders again

844 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Alex Horn 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

My name is Alex. I've had a 2004 VW TDI for about 2 years. It has just under 180k on it. Unfortunately it has fallen victim to the 04-05 pumpe duse camshaft engineering debacle. The one of the lobes is worn down and the cam follower/lifter is completely worn off thus exposing the spring. I love this car and really want to get it fixed but don't think I can afford the $2000 for the work (new cam, follower, spring, water pump, and timing belt). I may be forced to sell it as is for $1500 if I can't make the repairs myself.

My mechanic was able to diagnose the problem and has left it with the valve cover removed. I took some pictures of the problem lobe and follower (attached).

I'd like to give the repairs the ol' college try, but my experience working with engines is limited. If I get the kit, it looks like it would cost me about $600 to do the repairs. Should I give it a shot? Or is the risk of me doing catastrophic damage to the engine too high? I always back out of engine and tranny work because I'm afraid I'll bust the entire motor. There is a good youtube I found from myturbodieseldotcom of a guy replacing a passat camshaft. I've also read the article on camshaft lobe wear and replacement on this site. Will the info provided in the video and the article be enough to help me do the fix?
Any help or advice on this would be much appreciated.

-Alex

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.