Navigation Upgrade

Discussion in 'VW Mk6 Golf, Jetta, Beetle, Sportwagen TDI forum' started by sharkey8, Sep 14, 2012.

1. sharkey8

sharkey8 New Member

Car:
    VW MKVI Golf TDI
    Hello, I am a new member, I browsed a little bit but seem to find contradicting answers on this question. Here's my question. I bought a 2010 MKVI Golf TDI a week ago. I love it, however, I wish it had navigation. The dealer told me that I could not upgrade to a navigation equipped unit because each unit had a security code attached to it which would not allow it to function in other cars (in order to prevent theft.) That being said, I am finding a few RNS-315 units on ebay, which have navigation and bluetooth included on the button menu, I think the one I'm looking at is because the guy is upgrading to a RNS-510. I was just wondering if I bought this unit (it's from a 2012) would it work and what are the logistics of installing? VIN registration, security code registration?

Thanks for the help guys, if this is a repost, please aid me in finding the correct answer.

Cheers!
    Shark
    login to remove this ad
  2. azthegame

azthegame New Member

Car:
    12 Golf TDI 4DR
    If you buy one from anybody, make sure they state a security code comes with it. If it doesn't it is an expensive paperweight. The code is unit specific, not car specific. So they are interchangeable contrary to what the dealer said.
  3. chittychittybangbang

chittychittybangbang Administrator

Car:
    2006 Jetta TDI
    when you say dealer, who at dealer did you talk to? No mechanic would ever say something so ridiculous.

you get the security code from the VW dealer. They're required to give it to you for free. Get the original head unit one from dealer before you sell.

Dealer doesn't have to give you new security code though since it could be a stolen unit. The seller usually provides that.

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/rns315-GPS-FAQ-VW.htm
  4. sharkey8

sharkey8 New Member

Car:
    VW MKVI Golf TDI
    It was a sales guy who seemed to have his head up his ass. I think it was a big mega-dealer and these guys knew a little about alot of cars. Not the type of buying experience I prefer, but it worked out well. Thanks for the help guys.

shark.
  5. BrShootr

BrShootr Member

Car:
    2011 MK6 TDI
    How about you find me an RNS-510 and I'll sell you my brand new RNS-315? :)

I haven't taken delivery of the car yet, but when I do I'll do the trade. You'll need the GPS antenna as well I think.